unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Doc bug: Postgres account not available
@ 2020-05-23 14:47 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-05-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

Apparently our Postgres service changed a little bit recently.  While it
was easy to setup in the past, this week it cost me a few hours, trying
to figure out how to do a simple thing like

$ psql -U postgres
psql: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"

Eventually, I discovered https://issues.guix.info/38198.
Turns out the authentication policy is now "peer" and the shell-less
'postgres' user cannot be used without a shell.

As such, to administrate PostgresQL we need first to switch to the
postgres user as follows:

  sudo su postgres -s psql

This was not a very obvious find on the Internet.
Can we make this easier?  The above thread suggests to leave the setup
as is and to document it.

Thoughts?  Gábor, Giovanni?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Doc bug: Postgres account not available
@ 2020-06-08  5:40 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-06-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Pierre,

This has been this way for a while. It took me some time to  find it
out also. I guess that documenting it would be fine.
Most of the times I finally end up adding a shell to the account, but
keeping it this way is a sane default when you automanage your
database.

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. máj.
23., Szo, 16:47):

> Hi!
>
> Apparently our Postgres service changed a little bit recently.  While it
> was easy to setup in the past, this week it cost me a few hours, trying
> to figure out how to do a simple thing like

> $ psql -U postgres
> psql: FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> Eventually, I discovered https://issues.guix.info/38198.
> Turns out the authentication policy is now "peer" and the shell-less
> 'postgres' user cannot be used without a shell.
>
> As such, to administrate PostgresQL we need first to switch to the
> postgres user as follows:

>   sudo su postgres -s psql
>
> This was not a very obvious find on the Internet.
> Can we make this easier?  The above thread suggests to leave the setup
> as is and to document it.
>
> Thoughts?  Gábor, Giovanni?
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt
> https://ambrevar.xyz/

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

* Re: Doc bug: Postgres account not available
@ 2020-06-10  9:32   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-06-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix