unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Certbot service: no http -> https redirection
@ 2020-10-20  7:40 divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-10-20  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear guix,

I have a certbot service with a nginx service. If I understand
correctly, certbot should hack the nginx configuration in order to
register itself for all .well-known/acme-challenge (I'm not sure for
the path syntax, but that's not the point) requests, and basically
redirect all other HTTP requests to HTTPS.

However, my system does not seem to do that.

How does guix know that my web server configuration needs to be
extended with certbot's anyway? Should I add a configuration entry?

For now my web configuration is:
https://code.divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git/tree/divoplade/services/web.scm

Notice that there's no configuration entry for certbot.

My certbot configuration is:
https://code.divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git/tree/divoplade/services/certbot.scm

Best regards,

divoplade

* Re: Certbot service: no http -> https redirection
@ 2020-10-20  9:42 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-10-20  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade, help-guix

Perhaps my guix configuration will help you figure out how to write your config.scm properly.  The below file is what's running gnucode.me

https://notabug.org/jbranso/linode-guix-system-configuration/src/master/linode-locke-lamora-current-config.scm

Best of luck,

Joshua

* Re: Certbot service: no http -> https redirection
@ 2020-10-20 10:17   ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-10-20 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, help-guix

Hello Joshua,

Le mardi 20 octobre 2020 à 09:42 +0000, jbranso@dismail.de a écrit :
> gnucode.me

I think you have the same problem. This site does not have HTTPS
automatic redirection.

www.gnu-hurd.com does try to do HTTPS redirection though (be careful,
you don't have a valid certificate), which is very puzzling to me.

Anyway, I see you do these redirections yourself. So I will do the
same.

@ 2020-10-20 12:04     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-10-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, divoplade, jbranso

Weird, I have the certbot and nginx services, and I don't need to redirect manually: https://git.lepiller.eu/system-configuration/tree/-/systems/ene.scm

@ 2020-10-20 18:34       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-20 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix, divoplade

Oh, now that you guys mention it, isn't a http to https re-direct a
potential security risk, via a man in the middle attack?

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Certbot service: no http -> https redirection
@ 2020-10-20 19:57         ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-10-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Le 20 octobre 2020 14:34:29 GMT-04:00, Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> a écrit :

>Oh, now that you guys mention it, isn't a http to https re-direct a
>potential security risk, via a man in the middle attack?

How could it be worse than serving your site on http?

* Re: Certbot service: no http -> https redirection
@ 2020-10-20 21:01           ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-20 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Well I serve my sites on https.  If you access the https version, then
the browser will redirect you to the https version.