unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Flickering XWayland programs after resume from suspend
@ 2021-02-25  1:07 Sébastien Lerique
From: Sébastien Lerique @ 2021-02-25  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear all,

I use SDDM and Sway, and since a couple weeks I experience a bug
where several programs start flickering after I resume from
suspend, to a point that they are unusable. This happens at least
on Emacs and Firefox (I admit I haven't tested on IceCat), happens
in both Sway and Gnome on Wayland, and does not happen in Gnome on
X11. Which makes me think it is related to XWayland.

On Emacs, some select letters (often 'o') are not rendered. Parts
of the windows are not refreshed when other parts are updated.
Logging out (to SDDM) and back in fixes the issue.

Has anyone been experiencing this? I'm not sure how to start
troubleshooting, or what channels to use to explore this. Any help
will be much appreciated!

Best,
Sébastien

* Re: Flickering XWayland programs after resume from suspend
@ 2021-02-25  4:51 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-02-25  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Lerique; +Cc: help-guix

Sébastien Lerique <sl@eauchat.org> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I use SDDM and Sway, and since a couple weeks I experience a bug where
> several programs start flickering after I resume from suspend, to a
> point that they are unusable. This happens at least on Emacs and
> Firefox (I admit I haven't tested on IceCat), happens in both Sway and
> Gnome on Wayland, and does not happen in Gnome on X11. Which makes me
> think it is related to XWayland.

I'm using sway, and I do not have this issue.  I use Firefox and Emacs.
I've been running sway for days at a time.  At night I close the laptop
lip, and I keep computing for the next day.

> On Emacs, some select letters (often 'o') are not rendered. Parts of
> the windows are not refreshed when other parts are updated. Logging
> out (to SDDM) and back in fixes the issue.

I do not have this issue.

joshua@dobby ~> guix describe
Generation 68	Feb 19 2021 16:39:22	(current)
  guix ffe4f87
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: ffe4f87c87a28a9b4ea5e2f389932f3591e21b2b

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/joshua/prog/gnu/guix/guix-packages/"

joshua@dobby ~> guix system describe
Generation 67	Feb 23 2021 12:53:39	(current)
  file name: /var/guix/profiles/system-67-link
  canonical file name: /gnu/store/8s1waqkjh38jk6w8s4nq0zx63q1j24r6-system
  label: GNU with Linux-Libre 5.10.17
  bootloader: grub
  root device: UUID: 0542cf20-9f62-49cf-992f-54a75186f2b2
  kernel: /gnu/store/wwbpbi5kdsmjhvscb2pvmcqm2h0gn623-linux-libre-5.10.17/bzImage
  channels:
    guix:
      repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
      branch: master
      commit: ffe4f87c87a28a9b4ea5e2f389932f3591e21b2b
  configuration file: /gnu/store/898rg76d3wq0s1388jnryfykfg7575ps-configuration.scm

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Flickering XWayland programs after resume from suspend
@ 2021-03-01 14:38   ` Sébastien Lerique
From: Sébastien Lerique @ 2021-03-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

>> I use SDDM and Sway, and since a couple weeks I experience a
>> bug where
>> several programs start flickering after I resume from suspend,
>> to a
>> point that they are unusable. This happens at least on Emacs
>> and
>> Firefox (I admit I haven't tested on IceCat), happens in both
>> Sway and
>> Gnome on Wayland, and does not happen in Gnome on X11. Which
>> makes me
>> think it is related to XWayland.
>
> I'm using sway, and I do not have this issue.  I use Firefox and
> Emacs.
> I've been running sway for days at a time.  At night I close the
> laptop
> lip, and I keep computing for the next day.

>> On Emacs, some select letters (often 'o') are not rendered.
>> Parts of
>> the windows are not refreshed when other parts are updated.
>> Logging
>> out (to SDDM) and back in fixes the issue.
>
> I do not have this issue.

Thanks for the report. It turns out this happens also on Gnome on
X11, and on Waybar sometimes, so it's not an XWayland issue. Here
are two videos of some of the behaviour (this is after a full
update of system and profile):
https://cloud.eauchat.org/s/T82QzNfSYHnbN6F

$ guix describe
Generation 70	Feb 28 2021 22:09:23	(current)
  nonguix d28a3d8
    repository URL: https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
    branch: master
    commit: d28a3d8ae7c2f1bbf5887d8b619fedbf3c40e05c
  guix-science ffbe295
    repository URL:
    https://github.com/guix-science/guix-science.git
    branch: master
    commit: ffbe29563147570d6bcb55cce756fe9742aa204e
  guix 372b15f
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 372b15f8625e7f20cafdba2677d4bf3f5eccc127

$ guix system describe
Generation 135	Mar 01 2021 07:43:31	(current)
  file name: /var/guix/profiles/system-135-link
  canonical file name:
  /gnu/store/pd0iqgi6mg3lk3pmc4lf5bc0l6a4vs1d-system
  label: GNU with Linux 5.10.18
  bootloader: grub-efi
  root device: /dev/mapper/cryptroot
  kernel:
  /gnu/store/ff06m580x65x2xhl0sc3aawpf8g9m7b8-linux-5.10.18/bzImage
  channels:
    nonguix:
      repository URL: https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
      branch: master
      commit: d28a3d8ae7c2f1bbf5887d8b619fedbf3c40e05c
    guix-science:
      repository URL:
      https://github.com/guix-science/guix-science.git
      branch: master
      commit: ffbe29563147570d6bcb55cce756fe9742aa204e
    guix:
      repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
      branch: master
      commit: 372b15f8625e7f20cafdba2677d4bf3f5eccc127
  configuration file:
  /gnu/store/spymhbc166529z63pdycxl59nnwlp2d4-configuration.scm

And here are my system and profile configs:
https://gitlab.com/wehlutyk/guix-config (`config.scm` and
`sl-manifest.scm`).

I thought it was a hardware issue for a moment, but logging out
and back in fixes it. Any advice for where to start about this is

@ 2021-03-01 17:49   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-03-01 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Lerique; +Cc: help-guix

March 1, 2021 9:39 AM, "Sébastien Lerique" <sl@eauchat.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the report. It turns out this happens also on Gnome on
> X11, and on Waybar sometimes, so it's not an XWayland issue. Here
> are two videos of some of the behaviour (this is after a full
> update of system and profile):
> https://cloud.eauchat.org/s/T82QzNfSYHnbN6F

Thanks for including the videos!  I always think windows of bugs
are the most helpful!

I suppose you could just exclusively use wayland applications...
Not exactly the best way to fix it.

@ 2021-03-03  8:48     ` Jiří Špaček
From: Jiří Špaček @ 2021-03-03  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I've been experiencing the same set of problems (as shown on the videos)
lately and I think it might be kernel/video drivers related. It started
to manifest when I upgraded linux-libre to one of the latest versions
(5.9 -> 5.10 not sure exactly which one was it). I've resolved it by
downgrading to linux-libre-5.4.

I have Lenovo Thinkad X240 with this graphics card: 00:02.0 VGA
compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 0b)

Hope it helps.

Jiri

@ 2021-03-03 13:19       ` Sébastien Lerique
From: Sébastien Lerique @ 2021-03-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiří Špaček; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

> I've been experiencing the same set of problems (as shown on the
> videos)
> lately and I think it might be kernel/video drivers related. It
> started
> to manifest when I upgraded linux-libre to one of the latest
> versions
> (5.9 -> 5.10 not sure exactly which one was it). I've resolved
> it by
> downgrading to linux-libre-5.4.
>
> I have Lenovo Thinkad X240 with this graphics card: 00:02.0 VGA
> compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated
> Graphics
> Controller (rev 0b)

Yes, same machine and same graphics card. Makes sense, thank you
very much for the hint!

Sébastien