unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-09-29 22:14 Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2019-09-29 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
Firefox?

Mark Weaver was doing an amazing job of patching icecat to be up to date
on security releases.  Since nobody is doing that work currently, I'm a
bit worried about the security of my browsing... seems like running from
the latest release of Firefox might be the best answer for now.

I'm sure someone must have written a definition; I'd be very grateful to
see it :)

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-09-30 13:09 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-09-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Christopher,

> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
> Firefox?

I’ve been working on it but I think it’s far from working. Check a few commits back at github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel

Good luck,

John

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-01 10:45 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-10-01 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
> Firefox?
>
> Mark Weaver was doing an amazing job of patching icecat to be up to date
> on security releases.  Since nobody is doing that work currently, I'm a
> bit worried about the security of my browsing...

FWIW, I'm still using IceCat 60.9, based on Firefox ESR 60.9, which was
released at the same time as Firefox ESR 68.1.  Those are the most
recent upstream ESR releases from Mozilla, so our IceCat package is
currently up to date.

The next IceCat update will be needed when you see a version number
newer than 68.1 on the following page:

  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox-esr/

The next update is currently scheduled for October 22, when Firefox 70
and Firefox 68.2 ESR are due to be released.  Unless an especially
urgent issue is discovered, leading to an "out of band" release from
Mozilla, it's likely that no action will be needed until October 22.

      Regards,
        Mark

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-01 12:13   ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2019-10-01 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
>> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
>> Firefox?
>>
>> Mark Weaver was doing an amazing job of patching icecat to be up to date
>> on security releases.  Since nobody is doing that work currently, I'm a
>> bit worried about the security of my browsing...
>
> FWIW, I'm still using IceCat 60.9, based on Firefox ESR 60.9, which was
> released at the same time as Firefox ESR 68.1.  Those are the most
> recent upstream ESR releases from Mozilla, so our IceCat package is
> currently up to date.
>
> The next IceCat update will be needed when you see a version number
> newer than 68.1 on the following page:
>
>   https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox-esr/
>
> The next update is currently scheduled for October 22, when Firefox 70
> and Firefox 68.2 ESR are due to be released.  Unless an especially
> urgent issue is discovered, leading to an "out of band" release from
> Mozilla, it's likely that no action will be needed until October 22.
>
>       Regards,
>         Mark

Thanks for clarifying, Mark :)

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-02  0:32 ` Mike Gerwitz
From: Mike Gerwitz @ 2019-10-02  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 18:14:08 -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
> Firefox?

FYI, I contacted Rubén recently asking a number of questions to
determine whether I may be able to take up [co-]maintaining IceCat.

But while I use IceCat daily, I know very little about Firefox from a
development perspective.  So if there is anyone willing to take the time
to answer some questions of mine to get me up to speed more quickly, I'd
appreciate it.  If there are people who would be willing to help
maintain IceCat, that'd be even better.  I don't have a lot of time, but
considering that IceCat is effectively unmaintained, a little bit of
time is better than no time.

If I don't hear back from Rubén by the end of next week, I'll either
call him at the FSF or seek the answers elsewhere.

As far as packaging it for Guix goes---I can't commit to doing that yet,
since I have very little experience there too and IceCat isn't the
easiest thing to package.  But if I do take up [co-]maintainership, the
ideal situation would be for me or someone else to update Guix the same
day that IceCat releases are published to gnu.org, or even produce the
releases using Guix, as Mark has done.

I'll have more information in the next couple of weeks.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-02  3:10   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-10-02  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gerwitz; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Mike, all,

Mike Gerwitz <mtg@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 18:14:08 -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
>> Does someone have a recipe, or channel, for the latest release of
>> Firefox?
>
> FYI, I contacted Rubén recently asking a number of questions to
> determine whether I may be able to take up [co-]maintaining IceCat.
>
> But while I use IceCat daily, I know very little about Firefox from a
> development perspective.  So if there is anyone willing to take the time
> to answer some questions of mine to get me up to speed more quickly, I'd
> appreciate it.  If there are people who would be willing to help
> maintain IceCat, that'd be even better.  I don't have a lot of time, but
> considering that IceCat is effectively unmaintained, a little bit of
> time is better than no time.

I think I’m in a similar situation as you: I, too, use IceCat every day,
in and out of Guix, but don’t know much about Firefox internals as of
now.  I also sadly have little time on my hands, at least until the end
of this year.  But I too think a bit of time is better than none at all;
so I’d be willing to give [co-]maintaining IceCat a shot, especially if
I may have someone else’s help along the way :).

Would you please send along / Cc me in your questions thread with Rubén?

> If I don't hear back from Rubén by the end of next week, I'll either
> call him at the FSF or seek the answers elsewhere.

Rubén usually hangs out at #trisquel-dev on Fridays 12-1pm.  You may be
able to catch him there if you’re around.

> As far as packaging it for Guix goes---I can't commit to doing that
>yet,
> since I have very little experience there too and IceCat isn't the
> easiest thing to package.  But if I do take up [co-]maintainership, the
> ideal situation would be for me or someone else to update Guix the same
> day that IceCat releases are published to gnu.org, or even produce the
> releases using Guix, as Mark has done.

I feel similarly.  Ideally, a prolific Guixer would step in and continue
with the great legacy that Mark has built and left for us.  Many thanks,
Mark, for all you’ve done for us and Guix all along.

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-03  1:36     ` Mike Gerwitz
From: Mike Gerwitz @ 2019-10-03  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 23:10:01 -0400, Amin Bandali wrote:
> I think I’m in a similar situation as you: I, too, use IceCat every day,
> in and out of Guix, but don’t know much about Firefox internals as of
> now.  I also sadly have little time on my hands, at least until the end
> of this year.  But I too think a bit of time is better than none at all;
> so I’d be willing to give [co-]maintaining IceCat a shot, especially if
> I may have someone else’s help along the way :).

Great!  Thank you.  Being a GNU maintainer comes with certain
responsibilities and expectations, so I'll get in touch with you
privately to clarify whether that's what you're looking for, or if
you're just looking to contribute to the project.

>> If I don't hear back from Rubén by the end of next week, I'll either
>> call him at the FSF or seek the answers elsewhere.
>>

> Rubén usually hangs out at #trisquel-dev on Fridays 12-1pm.  You may be
> able to catch him there if you’re around.

I'll be working then, unfortunately.  But if anyone here is available to
ping him there, do feel free!  I'll ping him via email before I try to
get in touch elsewhere.

--
Mike Gerwitz

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Recipe for latest release of firefox?
@ 2019-10-03  2:58       ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-10-03  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gerwitz; +Cc: help-guix

Mike Gerwitz <mtg@gnu.org> writes:

> Great!  Thank you.  Being a GNU maintainer comes with certain
> responsibilities and expectations, so I'll get in touch with you
> privately to clarify whether that's what you're looking for, or if
> you're just looking to contribute to the project.

Cheers!  Also, got your private mail, thanks; will reply shortly :)

[...]
> I'll be working then, unfortunately.  But if anyone here is available to
> ping him there, do feel free!  I'll ping him via email before I try to
> get in touch elsewhere.

Ah, okay, gotcha.  I’ll be around for the first 30mins of the meeting, I
can try pinging him then.