unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Old version of symbola font as a part of Guix
@ 2020-10-13 17:10 Rubije Keal via
From: Rubije Keal via @ 2020-10-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hello Guix Users!

I was looking for Symbola font [0] and found a message from 2017 [1] were it was said that "Symbola package can't be a part of Guix due to a really stupid license problem".
Indeed, according to the current license [0] this font can't be added to Guix, but there's an old version back from 2015 [2] where author said "In lieu of a licence; fonts and documents in this site are free for any use;" and in symbola.pdf (from zip archive): "Symbola is not a merchandise; it is free for any use.".

Does these remarks let us add this older version of that font?

[0] https://dn-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/UFAS-Docs/License.pdf
[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-02/msg00036.html
[2] https://web.archive.org/web/20160817064111/http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/

Best regards,
Rubije

* Re: Old version of symbola font as a part of Guix
@ 2020-10-13 21:07 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-10-13 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rubije Keal via; +Cc: Rubije Keal

I suppose that it should be ok.  We could always patch the old version.
If he complains we could always remove it.  Though I'm an occassional
guix contributer...my opinion may not matter.

Why don't you go ahead and try to package it as a channel?  If you get
it packaged somewhere, then even if we can't share it officially, you
could still use it.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus