unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Broken emacs-treemacs package in current Guix
@ 2020-11-02 22:58 Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2020-11-02 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I recently moved my Emacs package management from ELPA to Guix, and
after creating quite a few additional package declarations using the
amazing "guix import elpa" command, I now have a working system that
doesn't have any packages installed through ELPA. Pretty cool stuff.

However, one package is sadly failing to build on my current
installation of Guix: emacs-treemacs

If I try to build the emacs-treemacs package that comes with Guix
(declared in emacs-xyz.scm), this crashes out due to a failing test
during its "make test" phase.

As an alternative, I tried creating a new emacs-treemacs-melpa package
with "guix import elpa". Here's the resulting code once I added in the
necessary module imports:

;;======================================================================================================================

(define-module (my-packages emacs-packages)
  #:use-module ((guix packages)           #:select (package origin base32))
  #:use-module ((guix download)           #:select (url-fetch))
  #:use-module ((guix build-system emacs) #:select (emacs-build-system))
  #:use-module ((gnu packages emacs-xyz)  #:select (emacs-dash
                                                    emacs-s
                                                    emacs-f
                                                    emacs-ace-window
                                                    emacs-pfuture
                                                    emacs-hydra
                                                    emacs-ht)))

(define-public emacs-treemacs-melpa
  (package
   (name "emacs-treemacs-melpa")
   (version "20201026.2006")
   (source
    (origin
     (method url-fetch)
     (uri (string-append
           "https://melpa.org/packages/treemacs-"
           version
           ".tar"))
     (sha256
      (base32
       "10dlxizx3nhviz5sfbfavsfglpwschkl3z3wwryw8930bp0swh5h"))))
   (build-system emacs-build-system)
   (propagated-inputs
    `(("emacs-dash" ,emacs-dash)
      ("emacs-s" ,emacs-s)
      ("emacs-f" ,emacs-f)
      ("emacs-ace-window" ,emacs-ace-window)
      ("emacs-pfuture" ,emacs-pfuture)
      ("emacs-hydra" ,emacs-hydra)
      ("emacs-ht" ,emacs-ht)))
   (home-page
    "https://github.com/Alexander-Miller/treemacs")
   (synopsis "A tree style file explorer package")
   (description
    "A powerful and flexible file tree project explorer.")
   (license #f)))

;;======================================================================================================================

This package successfully compiles and installs with "guix package -i".

However, when I open treemacs, none of its icons are available, and my
*Messages* buffer is filled with these error messages:

;;======================================================================================================================

Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/root-closed.png’ [47 times]
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/dir-closed.png’ [7 times]
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/js.png’
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/npm.png’ [2 times]
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/txt.png’ [2 times]
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/org.png’
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/license.png’
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/txt.png’
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/git.png’ [2 times]
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/js.png’
Cannot find image file ‘/home/gjohnson/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/icons/default/vsc/root-closed.png’ [11 times]
[...]

I can see in the stock emacs-treemacs package that some code has been
added to move its icon files around, but since it doesn't build for me,
that doesn't help me much at the moment.

I'm hoping one of the Guix package maintainers can fix the
emacs-treemacs package and let us know when a working version is
available via "guix pull".

Thanks in advance,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

* Re: Broken emacs-treemacs package in current Guix
@ 2020-11-08 20:35 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-11-08 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Johnson; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Gary Johnson <lambdatronic@disroot.org> writes:

> If I try to build the emacs-treemacs package that comes with Guix
> (declared in emacs-xyz.scm), this crashes out due to a failing test
> during its "make test" phase.

This should be now be fixed. Thank you.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Broken emacs-treemacs package in current Guix
@ 2020-11-09 23:48   ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2020-11-09 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: help-guix

I ran "guix pull", and now the emacs-treemacs package builds
successfully.

Thanks,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me
Protect yourself from surveillance: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.