unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Ad-hoc offloading to a server
@ 2021-09-20 18:25 Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-09-20 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Sometimes I've wanted to offload builds ad-hoc to another server, like
so:

  guix build mypackage --offload-to=cwebber@beefybuilder.org

This would offload by ssh'ing into that server and doing the offloading
there, but it's a more explicit user specified location.

Thoughts?  Would this be a worthwhile feature?

 - Christine

PS: I suppose despite being a more explicit operation, I suppose the
/etc/guix/acl file can't be avoided under our current security model,
because we're still trusting that the remote location is trustworthy
enough to put this build result in our store as the result associated
with this input.  One user could, otherwise, screw over all others.

* Re: Ad-hoc offloading to a server
@ 2021-09-20 19:38 ` 'edk@beaver-labs.com'
From: 'edk@beaver-labs.com' @ 2021-09-20 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: help-guix

The way I'd do it for now would be:

ssh cwebber@beefybuilder.org guix build mypackage
ssh cwebber@beefybuilder.org guix publish
ssh -N -R 8081:localhost:8080 cwebber@beefybuilder.org&
guix build --substitute-urls=http://localhost:8081 mypackage

First, and only once, you need to authorize your machine to use
substitute packages from the beefy server
ssh  cwebber@beefybuilder.org guix archive --authorize
scp cwebber@beefybuilder.org:/etc/guix/signing-key.pub /tmp/whatever
guix archive --authorize < /tmp/whatever

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers,

Edouard.