conjaroy writes: > Greetings help-guix, > > I've been a casual user of Nix for a couple of years and have decided to > test the waters with Guix. While I'm looking forward to spending time with > Lisp after many years away, my biggest impression is that Guix seems to > have well-documented interfaces in cases where Nix relies more on loose > conventions. > > After reviewing the manual and some of the service definitions, I'd like a > better understanding of how to implement a common pattern. Let's say that I > have some application Foo that uses an external system for persistence, > like a SQL database. Before starting up service Foo I need to ensure both > that the database service is running and that the database instance for Foo > has been initialized, because Foo doesn't know how to initialize the > database on its own. > > The first issue (how to ensure that the database service is up) seems to be > solved by adding a shepherd-root-service-type service extension that > declares a set of "requirements". And the second issue (performing > pre-startup initialization) seems to be handled by the > activation-service-type extension. So far so good. > > But I couldn't find documentation on whether service activation scripts can > safely rely on other services that happen to be declared as requirements in > the shepherd-root-service-type extension. And while I found many activation > scripts that do simple things like modifying the filesystem, I couldn't see > any that interact directly with other services. However, I did see some > evidence of service extensions relying on the side effects of other service > extensions: a number of activation scripts call "getpwnam" for info on > system accounts that could exist only if the corresponding > account-service-type extension has already been executed. > > So my questions are: could someone clarify best practices for initializing > state in Service A before Service B starts up? And is there anything about > the ordering/dependencies of a service's extensions that could be better > documented in the manual? To encode requirements for an activation script, I think you need to declare a service type for it with appropriate requirements, and make the start and stop actions "noop". Then you can have other services depend on the "activation service". I did something similar in a service I'm working on that consists of many different daemons. To avoid having to run essentially the same activation script on each, I created a "common" service that all daemons depend upon. It's fairly verbose (you don't need a record type), but looks like this: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- ;; This is a dummy service that all Ganeti daemons depend upon, mainly to ;; avoid having the same activation snippet on each. (define-record-type* ganeti-common-configuration make-ganeti-common-configuration ganeti-common-configuration? (ganeti ganeti-common-configuration-ganeti ; (default ganeti)) (directories ganeti-common-configuration-directories ;list of strings (default '("/var/log/ganeti" "/var/log/ganeti/kvm" "/var/log/ganeti/os" "/var/lib/ganeti/rapi" "/var/lib/ganeti/queue" "/var/run/ganeti/bdev-cache" "/var/run/ganeti/socket" "/var/run/ganeti/instance-disks" "/var/run/ganeti/instance-reason" "/var/run/ganeti/livelocks")))) (define (ganeti-common-activation config) (let ((directories (ganeti-common-configuration-directories config))) #~(begin (use-modules (guix build utils)) (for-each mkdir-p '#$directories)))) (define ganeti-common-service (lambda _ (list (shepherd-service (documentation "Create the directories required by Ganeti.") (provision '(ganeti-common)) (requirement '(file-systems)) ;; Do nothing but the activation snippet, at least for now. (start #~(const #t)))))) (define ganeti-common-service-type (service-type (name 'ganeti-common) (extensions (list (service-extension activation-service-type ganeti-common-activation) ;; This service also installs Ganeti to the profile ;; to make gnt-cluster, etc readily available. (service-extension profile-service-type (compose list ganeti-common-configuration-ganeti)) (service-extension shepherd-root-service-type ganeti-common-service))) (default-value (ganeti-common-configuration)) (description "This service creates directories used by other Ganeti daemons."))) --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---