unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Setting environment variables for nix service
@ 2020-08-04 13:34 dario
From: dario @ 2020-08-04 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am a bit confused about how to correctly set up the nix service.
Following the steps in
http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#index-Nix
, the last step is to run

source /run/current-system/profile/etc/profile.d/nix.sh

which takes care about setting the environment variables
correctly. I am
trying to run this command should be run automatically at login.
Two
questions:

1. What is the proper way to do this? I am using gdm and exwm, and
adding the line to any of ~/.profile, ~/.xprofile, ~/.zprofile, or
~/.bash_profile does not seem to have any effect in exwm.

2. Couldn't the nix service take care of this automatically? I'd
be
happy to contribute a corresponding path once I have the answer to
my
first question.

Best regards,

Dario

* Re: Setting environment variables for nix service
@ 2020-08-05 14:08 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2020-08-05 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dario; +Cc: help-guix

dario <dario.klingenberg@web.de> writes:

> Two
> questions:
>
> 1. What is the proper way to do this? I am using gdm and exwm, and
> adding the line to any of ~/.profile, ~/.xprofile, ~/.zprofile, or
> ~/.bash_profile does not seem to have any effect in exwm.

Probably GDM doesn't read those files by design.

Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?

> 2. Couldn't the nix service take care of this automatically? I'd be
> happy to contribute a corresponding path once I have the answer to my
> first question.

Probably yes, and the patch is welcome!  ;-) Just one consideration - I
think it should be optional, in case the automation will brake because
of Nix update or highly customized system.

Regards,
Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Setting environment variables for nix service
@ 2020-08-06 15:47   ` dario
From: dario @ 2020-08-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

thanks for your input!

> Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?

In that case, emacs still doesn't recognize the new environment
variables, but of course, any terminals I start withing exwm do.
Still,
this doesn't really solve the problem. Anyway, I am currently
working
around the issue by setting the variables manually in my init.el
using
setenv, but I would still be interested in learning the proper way
set environment variables in a gdm+exwm-setting.

By the way, ~/.bash_profile does get read, and I can e.g.
autostart
programs by putting the respective commands in ~/.bash_profile.
However,
environment variables set in ~/.bash_profile are not recognized by
emacs.

Regarding my second question, it seems that the nix service is
already
setting some of the nix-specific environment variables, but
doesn't
change general ones such as $PATH. So maybe the feature I
suggested is
already implemented, but they took care not change $PATH by
default
because of the reason you mentioned.

Cheers,

Dario

Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> dario <dario.klingenberg@web.de> writes:
>
>> Two
>> questions:
>>
>> 1. What is the proper way to do this? I am using gdm and exwm,
>> and
>> adding the line to any of ~/.profile, ~/.xprofile, ~/.zprofile,
>> or
>> ~/.bash_profile does not seem to have any effect in exwm.
>
> Probably GDM doesn't read those files by design.
>
> Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?
>
>> 2. Couldn't the nix service take care of this automatically?
>> I'd be
>> happy to contribute a corresponding path once I have the answer
>> to my
>> first question.
>
> Probably yes, and the patch is welcome!  ;-) Just one
> consideration - I
> think it should be optional, in case the automation will brake
> because
> of Nix update or highly customized system.
>
> Regards,
> Oleg.

* Re: Setting environment variables for nix service [SOLVED]
@ 2020-08-08 15:09     ` dario
From: dario @ 2020-08-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

apparently, the issue was related to emacs (I am using doom emacs)
setting environment variables after startup. Removing
~/.emacs.d/.local/env solved the issue, so this is not really
related to
guix - sorry.

Best

Dario