unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-09  6:29 bdju
From: bdju @ 2020-09-09  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello, I've been using qutebrowser for a few days, and for some reason
I have no sound. I don't see an entry for it in pavucontrol or
pulsemixer at all. Videos play fine, mostly, but there's no audio. I
watch most things in mpv, but for some sites it's really preferable to
watch in the browser, so hopefully I can find a solution.
I have yet to run into another program with broken audio.

guix (GNU Guix) 6c36daaac74b15cceae41caba0b291ae6d62ae17
qutebrowser v1.13.1

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-09  8:36 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-09-09  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdju, help-guix

For me Qutebrowser has stopped working a while ago with

> qutebrowser
10:36:12 INFO: Run :adblock-update to get adblock lists.
10:36:12 CRITICAL: Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
Aborted

Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-09 22:17   ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-09-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 10:36:37 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> For me Qutebrowser has stopped working a while ago with

> > qutebrowser
> 10:36:12 INFO: Run :adblock-update to get adblock lists.
> 10:36:12 CRITICAL: Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
> Aborted

This is just a guess:
If it's trying to find a process by name, it might fail to do so if the
executable is wrapped in a shell script.
eg.: /bin/yes would wrap /bin/.yes-real
so argv[0] would be ".yes-real" instead of "yes"

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-10 10:02     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-09-10 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom, help-guix

The `qutebrowser' executable is wrapped indeed.  Not sure what to do
with it.

Can anyone else reproduce?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-11  8:20   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-11  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <brown121407@posteo.ro> writes:

> "bdju" <bdju@tilde.team> writes:
>
>> Hello, I've been using qutebrowser for a few days, and for some reason
>> I have no sound. I don't see an entry for it in pavucontrol or
>> pulsemixer at all. Videos play fine, mostly, but there's no audio. I
>> watch most things in mpv, but for some sites it's really preferable to
>> watch in the browser, so hopefully I can find a solution.
>> I have yet to run into another program with broken audio.
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been occasionally experiencing the same problem. While I don't
> know the permanent fix for this, I found that if I open pavucontrol and
> also play a bit of music with mpv and _only after_ this ritual open
> qutebrowser, I don't have problems with missing sound anymore.
>
> I suspect that it's got something to do with spawning some kind of
> processes for pulseaudio.

Pulseaudio should be started automatically (via dbus?) by applications
with pulseaudio support.  Perhaps qutebrowser doesn’t do the right thing
here.  Will it attempt to connect to ALSA?

--
Ricardo

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-11 10:43 ` Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-09-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdju; +Cc: help-guix

"bdju" <bdju@tilde.team> writes:

> Hello, I've been using qutebrowser for a few days, and for some reason
> I have no sound. I don't see an entry for it in pavucontrol or
> pulsemixer at all. Videos play fine, mostly, but there's no audio. I
> watch most things in mpv, but for some sites it's really preferable to
> watch in the browser, so hopefully I can find a solution.
> I have yet to run into another program with broken audio.

Hi,

I've been occasionally experiencing the same problem. While I don't
know the permanent fix for this, I found that if I open pavucontrol and
also play a bit of music with mpv and _only after_ this ritual open
qutebrowser, I don't have problems with missing sound anymore.

I suspect that it's got something to do with spawning some kind of
processes for pulseaudio.

Cheers,
Sergiu

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-12 11:32     ` Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-09-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

> Pulseaudio should be started automatically (via dbus?) by applications
> with pulseaudio support.  Perhaps qutebrowser doesn’t do the right thing
> here.  Will it attempt to connect to ALSA?

I don't know how to check if it attempts to connect to ALSA. I couldn't
find anything on the Internet about checking this either, but that might
be because I don't know anything about sound systems to start with.

If anyone could provide some pointers I can try to look into this.

Sergiu

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-12 16:21       ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-09-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <brown121407@posteo.ro> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Pulseaudio should be started automatically (via dbus?) by applications
>> with pulseaudio support.  Perhaps qutebrowser doesn’t do the right thing
>> here.  Will it attempt to connect to ALSA?
>
> I don't know how to check if it attempts to connect to ALSA. I couldn't
> find anything on the Internet about checking this either, but that might
> be because I don't know anything about sound systems to start with.
>
> If anyone could provide some pointers I can try to look into this.

I don't know if this will help you in troubleshooting this particular
case but you could try:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=246733. I hope that thread
provides some pointers.

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: qutebrowser has no sound
@ 2020-09-12 21:16   ` bdju
From: bdju @ 2020-09-12 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri Sep 11, 2020 at 8:43 AM CDT, Alexandru-Sergiu Marton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been occasionally experiencing the same problem. While I don't
> know the permanent fix for this, I found that if I open pavucontrol and
> also play a bit of music with mpv and _only after_ this ritual open
> qutebrowser, I don't have problems with missing sound anymore.
>
> I suspect that it's got something to do with spawning some kind of
> processes for pulseaudio.
>
> Cheers,
> Sergiu

Thank you for the suggestion.
I played some stuff in mpv and restarted qutebrowser, but no dice. Same
when I pkill'd pulseaudio, opened something in mpv, then tried
qutebrowser again. I had qutebrowser open during part of this, so I
tried again, closing qutebrowser, killing pulseaudio, opening mpv, then
finally launching qutebrowser again. I don't get any different results,
so perhaps my issue is not quite the same.
I agree that it's probably something to do with spawning pulseaudio
processes since nothing even shows up for it.