unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Install and reinstall issues on Fedora 34
@ 2021-06-16 22:57 Sébastien Pierre
From: Sébastien Pierre @ 2021-06-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there,

I am evaluating Guix and am running into some issues getting it to work
under Fedora 34 Workstation. I followed the binary install instructions
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html>,
running the install script from an interactive root shell. All went well, I
rebooted the VM, but then guix-daemon failed to start:

× guix-daemon.service - Build daemon for GNU Guix
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: *failed *(Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-06-15 08:50:44
NZST; 2 days ago
    Process: 691
ExecStart=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Jun 15 08:50:44 fedora systemd[1]: Started Build daemon for GNU Guix.
Jun 15 08:50:44 fedora systemd[691]: guix-daemon.service: *Failed to locate
executable* /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon:
Permission den>
Jun 15 08:50:44 fedora systemd[691]: guix-daemon.service: Failed at step
EXEC spawning
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon: Permission
de>
Jun 15 08:50:44 fedora systemd[1]: guix-daemon.service: Main process
exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Jun 15 08:50:44 fedora systemd[1]: guix-daemon.service: Failed with result
'exit-code'.

It seems like a permission error, as the ExecStart path exists and resolves
to the /gnu/store, which is ther. Manually running the command does work as
well. I did try to replace the readlink -f'ed path in the SystemD service:

ExecStart=/gnu/store/0iii8i1lc4wg3wccs1db7y7d8lg80i04-guix-1.3.0/bin/guix-daemon
--build-users-group=guixbuild

But the same Permission Denied/Failed to locate issue remains. I know that
Fedora uses SELinux which sometimes causes some problems, but I'm not sure
about how to resolve that.

Help would be appreciated :)

Many thanks

Sebastien

* Re: Install and reinstall issues on Fedora 34
@ 2021-06-30 15:39 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-06-30 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Pierre; +Cc: help-guix

Sébastien Pierre <sebastien.pierre@nzx.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am evaluating Guix and am running into some issues getting it to work
> under Fedora 34 Workstation. I followed the binary install instructions
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html>,
> running the install script from an interactive root shell. All went well, I
> rebooted the VM, but then guix-daemon failed to start:

So is Fedora running on the VM?  And you are running guix the package
manager on top of Fedora, which is inside a vm?  What are you running on
metal?  What operating system is touching your hard drives?

Just check the basics...GNU Guix, the package manager, should run on any
distro.  Yes Fedora's SELinux policy could be breaking some things...

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Install and reinstall issues on Fedora 34
@ 2021-06-30 21:01 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-06-30 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Pierre; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Sébastien Pierre <sebastien.pierre@nzx.com> writes:

> I am evaluating Guix and am running into some issues getting it
> to work
> under Fedora 34 Workstation. I followed the binary install
> instructions
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html>,
> running the install script from an interactive root shell. All
> went well, I
> rebooted the VM, but then guix-daemon failed to start:

I suggest running the guix-daemon command manually first to
diagnose this.

> But the same Permission Denied/Failed to locate issue remains. I
> know that
> Fedora uses SELinux which sometimes causes some problems, but
> I'm not sure
> about how to resolve that.

There are really just two ways: either 1) disable SELinux (or set
it to permissive mode) or 2) install/debug/reinstall the SELinux
daemon policy that is included with Guix.

The daemon policy is *not* installed with the binary installation
method because it is known to be incomplete.  You would need to
get a copy of the Guix sources and configure it.  The file you
want is called “etc/guix-daemon.cil”.  To debug it you would need
to install it, set SELinux to permissive mode, run the daemon, and
then check the audit log for errors.

If you just want to start playing with Guix *right now* I suggest
temporarily disabling SELinux.

--
Ricardo