unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* building but skipping tests?
@ 2021-08-07 23:31 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-08-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, if I try to install a package and that may trigger building a
number of dependencies (when no substitutes for some reason but that
is outside the concern of this question), I notice that since the
build processes would run the tests by default, that takes a lot of
time.   I wonder if it is possible to skip tests when building
locally?   Of course running tests are good but if I am not a
developer of the packages being built running the tests may not be of
much utility to me.

Thanks for the info on this.

* Re: building but skipping tests?
@ 2021-08-08  8:20 ` Guillaume Le Vaillant
From: Guillaume Le Vaillant @ 2021-08-08  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> skribis:

> Hi, if I try to install a package and that may trigger building a
> number of dependencies (when no substitutes for some reason but that
> is outside the concern of this question), I notice that since the
> build processes would run the tests by default, that takes a lot of
> time.   I wonder if it is possible to skip tests when building
> locally?   Of course running tests are good but if I am not a
> developer of the packages being built running the tests may not be of
> much utility to me.
>
> Thanks for the info on this.

Hi,

The '--without-tests=pkg' option disables running tests for 'pkg' when
using 'guix build' or 'guix install'.
It is described at the end of [1].

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Package-Transformation-Options.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: building but skipping tests?
@ 2021-09-21  6:46 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-09-21  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, if I try to install a package and that may trigger building a
> number of dependencies (when no substitutes for some reason but that
> is outside the concern of this question), I notice that since the
> build processes would run the tests by default, that takes a lot of
> time.   I wonder if it is possible to skip tests when building
> locally?   Of course running tests are good but if I am not a
> developer of the packages being built running the tests may not be of
> much utility to me.

Note that you can disable the tests.  BUT enabling said tests, lets you
find errors, which you can report, which is really valuable to guix
developers.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: building but skipping tests?
@ 2021-09-21  7:35 ` Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2021-09-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Joshua,

Is there any published guidance covering what test responses are considered as flagging up?

For instance, would problems be sent to bug-guix@gnu.org as a matter of principle? And what should and should not be included?

Kind regards,

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

@ 2021-09-21 19:31   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-09-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan McHugh; +Cc: Andy Tai, help-guix

"Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> writes:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> Is there any published guidance covering what test responses are considered as flagging up?
>
> For instance, would problems be sent to bug-guix@gnu.org as a matter of principle? And what should and should not be included?

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Tracking-Bugs-and-Patches.html

There's no hard fast rule about what should or should not be sent.  If
it feels like a bug, go ahead and submit it.

It's typically good to put the output of "guix describe" and "guix
system describe" and what hardware you are using when describing a bug.

:)