From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: Andy Tai <lichengtai@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: question on workflow for package definition development
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 09:51:18 +0100	[thread overview]

Andy Tai <lichengtai@gmail.com> writes:

> guix environment -C guix --ad-hoc bash vim guile-json

You don’t need to add guile-json here.  It’s part of the environment for “guix”.

> gcc --version
> guile --version
> rm -rf autom4te.cache/ # to be sure
> make clean
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> make clean    # to be really sure
> make clean-go # to be even surer

One time “make clean” is quite sufficient.  You don’t need to run it
twice.  “make clean-go” is a subset of “make clean”, so if you already
ran the latter (twice!) then you don’t need “make clean-go”.

> However, now every time after I do git pull in guix.git, I need to
> repeat the steps above from
>
> guix environment -C guix --ad-hoc bash vim guile-json
>
> and make clean, re-configure, etc..  I find that just redoing make (in
> the special guix environment) will not work.

I can’t remember the last time I ran “make clean”.  Even “make clean-go”
is pretty rare.  What does “will not work” mean?

--
Ricardo