unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* gnu pack kmonad
@ 2022-05-13 16:38 dal-blazej
From: dal-blazej @ 2022-05-13 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I am trying to pack/install kmonad.

I can use the binary with the flag --dry-run to verify the tutorial,
however, when I try to really launch it, I always end with

/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/sh:
line 1: /run/current-system/sw/bin/sleep: No such file or directory

What I am doing wrong ?

* Re: gnu pack kmonad
@ 2022-05-14 10:31 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-05-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, dal-blazej

Hi,

Wow!  This kmonad tutorial is the first time I see generic examples 'for Linux' that are silently Nix-specific, rather than, say, Debian.  Ehm... 'progress'...?  :-/

Guix System happens to use /run/current-system too, but does not aim to be Nix-compatible.  The Guix System equivalent would be

  /run/current-system/profile/bin/sleep

(I don't know if you're running Guix System or whether 'pack' is just short for package, not 'guix pack'.)

However: if PATH is set correctly and kmonad supports it, I strongly recommend just writing

  sleep 1 && setxkbmap ...

instead.  Otherwise, your configuration will work only on Guix System *and* only if you install setxkbmap system-wide, not with 'guix install.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: gnu pack kmonad
@ 2022-05-14 11:05   ` dal-blazej
From: dal-blazej @ 2022-05-14 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Wow!  This kmonad tutorial is the first time I see generic examples 'for Linux'
> that are silently Nix-specific, rather than, say, Debian.  Ehm... 'progress'...?
> :-/

Yep it is not packaged for debian.

> Guix System happens to use /run/current-system too, but does not aim to be
> Nix-compatible.  The Guix System equivalent would be
>
>   /run/current-system/profile/bin/sleep
>
> (I don't know if you're running Guix System or whether 'pack' is just short for package, not 'guix pack'.)
>
> However: if PATH is set correctly and kmonad supports it, I strongly recommend just writing
>
>   sleep 1 && setxkbmap ...
>
> instead.  Otherwise, your configuration will work only on Guix System *and* only
> if you install setxkbmap system-wide, not with 'guix install.

Many thanks, effectively I didn't notice that was not the path of my
system.

Once corrected it seems to work as expected. =)