Hi Gottfried, Gottfried writes: >> You use >>> lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly >>> to create the document, > > > I tried to go into my lilypond profile How do you go into the lilypond profile? guix shell lilypond? > and to create a lilypond file: > > lilypond test.ly > > but it doesn’t create a document. > > message: > test.ly can’t be found. > > Than I created a file: > touch test.ly > > and opended it with: > gedit test.ly > > So I can edit this file but > terminal message: > TypeError: Couldn't find foreign struct converter for 'cairo.Context' This sounds like gtk stuff is missing. > Do I have to install something else? > > How can I create a .ly file in the terminal? As a start you can use the simplest editor: nano guix shell lilypond nano -- nano test.ly Just edit the file there, then press CTRL-o to save and CTRL-x to exit nano. for starters: # get a shell with the required programs guix shell lilypond nano mercurial timidity++ hg clone https://hg.sr.ht/~arnebab/draketos-songbook cd draketos-songbook # edit the file nano delfini-tune.ly # create pdf and midi lilypond delfini-tune.ly # see the output evince delfini-tune.pdf # listen to it timidity delfini-tune.midi (that example is a song I set for my kids, so don’t expect anything fancy) Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein, ohne es zu merken. draketo.de