unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-23  6:18 Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-05-23  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Thought I should try letting guix handle the emacs packages. And overall it
worked out great. But encounter some minor issues along the way, so I
thought I should ask.

1) The manual mention that packages installed via guix will be picked up by
emacs from the EMACSLOADPATH which is set when emacs is installed. That was
not the case for me. I needed to manually set:

export EMACSLOADPATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/emacs/site-lisp:$EMACSLOADPATH

for it to work.  I'm running guix on a foreign distro and I'm using
emacs-next. Is one of those the reason for it?

2) Not all packages I use in emacs are packaged up in guix (yet). And some
did not work properly for me. So I still need to rely on emacs to install
some of the packages. The issue is, that it doesn't seem that emacs knows
about the packages installed via guix when it comes to installing packages.
Even though it can load them just fine.

For example emacs-dash which I have installed via my manifest but is also
one that gets installed by emacs. If I run emacs -Q and then M-x
describe-package dash. It gives me

Package dash is dependency.

     Author: Magnar Sveen <magnars@gmail.com>
Other versions: 20200426.2244 (melpa), 2.17.0 (melpa-stable), 2.12.0 (gnu).

If I remove my elpa directory in my user-emacs-directory where emacs
installs the packages. It wont find dash when I do describe-package. But if
I run (require 'dash) it will find and load dash. Unsetting EMACSLOADPATH
and it will fail to find dash.

Is this the expected behavior? From what I can tell from reading the manual
[1], external packages must be listed in `package-directory-list` and have
the same layout as the one installed in elpa. Which is not the case when
installing via guix, as everything is symlinked to
$GUIX_PROFILE/share/emacs/site-lisp.

I hope this isn't too much off topic and apologize if any of this has been
asked before (I couldn't find the answer when searching the mailing list
archive).

Thanks

1:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Package-Files.html#Package-Files
--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

[-- Attachment #2: manifest.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1148 bytes --]

(use-package-modules
 fonts
 emacs
 emacs-xyz
 cmake
 finance
 shellutils
 haskell-apps)

(packages->manifest
  (list
    font-hack
    glibc-locales
    emacs-next
    emacs-s
    emacs-dash
    emacs-company
    emacs-yasnippet
    emacs-highlight-symbol
    emacs-haskell-mode
    emacs-smartparens
    emacs-jinja2-mode
    emacs-rust-mode
    emacs-go-mode
    emacs-cmake-mode
    emacs-geiser
    emacs-toml-mode
    emacs-yaml-mode
    emacs-json-mode
    emacs-markdown-mode
    emacs-julia-mode
    emacs-systemd-mode
    emacs-lua-mode
    emacs-ledger-mode
    emacs-gnuplot
    emacs-magit
    emacs-transient
    emacs-ag
    emacs-pdf-tools
    emacs-telega
    emacs-vterm
    emacs-libmpdel
    emacs-mpdel
    emacs-nginx-mode
    emacs-org
    emacs-emms
    emacs-ivy
    emacs-wgrep
    emacs-tramp
    emacs-sudo-edit
    emacs-evil
    emacs-emojify
    emacs-rainbow-mode
    emacs-move-text
    emacs-expand-region
    emacs-multiple-cursors
    emacs-string-inflection
    emacs-nov-el
    emacs-guix
    emacs-lsp-mode
    emacs-eglot
    emacs-direnv
    ;; External tools used by emacs
    direnv
    shellcheck
    ))

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-25 14:58 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-25 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Dear,

Thank you for your feedback.

On Sat, 23 May 2020 at 08:18, Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) The manual mention that packages installed via guix will be picked up by
> emacs from the EMACSLOADPATH which is set when emacs is installed. That was
> not the case for me. I needed to manually set:
>
> export EMACSLOADPATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/emacs/site-lisp:$EMACSLOADPATH
>
> for it to work.  I'm running guix on a foreign distro and I'm using
> emacs-next. Is one of those the reason for it?

How do you load your profile? "guix package --search-paths" or '.
"$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"'?

In my ~/.bash_profile, there is '. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"' and I
do not have any issue on a foreign distro.

> 2) Not all packages I use in emacs are packaged up in guix (yet). And some
> did not work properly for me. So I still need to rely on emacs to install

Please could list which packages do you use which ae not (yet) packaged in Guix?
And you could give a try with "guix import elpa -r".  It should work
with MELPA too.

Please could you report which packages do not work properly for you?

> some of the packages. The issue is, that it doesn't seem that emacs knows
> about the packages installed via guix when it comes to installing packages.
> Even though it can load them just fine.

My personal experience about mixing Emacs packages from Guix and from
package.el is really poor; it always breaks on one way or another.
Therefore, I switched to all Emacs packages from Guix.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-25 20:12   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-05-25 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Den mån 25 maj 2020 kl 07:58 skrev zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>:
> Dear,

> Thank you for your feedback.

No problem.

> How do you load your profile? "guix package --search-paths" or '.
> "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"'?

> In my ~/.bash_profile, there is '. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"' and I
> do not have any issue on a foreign distro.

I'm using the one installed when I ran the installer shell script i.e
the one ending up here: /etc/profile.d/guix.sh.

Which is doing:
`[ -f "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile" ] && . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"`

But this was just me being stupid. It works perfectly, I had just forgot
to reboot/relogin _after_ I installed emacs.

> Please could list which packages do you use which ae not (yet) packaged
in Guix?
> And you could give a try with "guix import elpa -r".  It should work
> with MELPA too.

Updated to the latest guix to make sure nothing has been added since I
ran this. Currently using commit:
b2d35dd9aeb3f6c566d53bfc9534abfd57860a51

Packages I'm missing are:
flymake-shellcheck
cargo
meson-mode
glsl-mode
buffer-move

And looks like all of them are trivial to package up using "guix import
elpa". Thanks for pointing that out. I'll give that a shot as it seems
like a good way to go through the process of contributing packages to
guix.

> Please could you report which packages do not work properly for you?

- emacs-lua-mode:

Getting this error:
Error (use-package): lua-mode/:catch: Unknown rx form ‘symbol’

Looks like this package is just outdated when I look at the version:

emacs melpa lua-mode = 20200508.1316
emacs-lua-mode = 20191204-1.1f596a9

- emacs-org-super-agenda:

First I missed this was packaged up in guix. But now when I try and
build it, one of its dependencies `emacs-ts` fails to build. One of the
tests are failing. I've attached the log

- emacs-magit:

This is just a minor thing. But the highlight/diff in the magit buffer
is more of a tight fit, which looks ugly. Where as if I use magit from
melpa the highlight/diff is a straight block. I've attached a screenshot
on how this looks. Left is emacs-magit, right is melpa magit.

- emacs-ledger-mode:

Does not work with flymake.

Looks like most of the packages that does not work for me are just
outdated. Exception being emacs-org-super-agenda.

> My personal experience about mixing Emacs packages from Guix and from
> package.el is really poor; it always breaks on one way or another.
> Therefore, I switched to all Emacs packages from Guix.

Yeah, that seems to be the best approach. And given how straight forward
it seems to be using "guix import elpa" to generate a package
definition. Then I don't see the need of mixing, as I can just either
use a local build of guix or a channel if I need something in a pinch.

Thanks for the help!
--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

[-- Attachment #2: 5pcmmz1f1pqwr6nss43qa9bimdwk11-emacs-ts-0.1-2.395649a.drv.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 3039 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 20200525_12h38m12s_grim.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 224313 bytes --]

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-26  8:26     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-05-26  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Dear,

On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 22:13, Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> wrote:

> But this was just me being stupid. It works perfectly, I had just forgot
> to reboot/relogin _after_ I installed emacs.

Re-source the profile seems enough. :-)

> Packages I'm missing are:
> flymake-shellcheck
> cargo
> meson-mode
> glsl-mode
> buffer-move
>
> And looks like all of them are trivial to package up using "guix import
> elpa". Thanks for pointing that out. I'll give that a shot as it seems
> like a good way to go through the process of contributing packages to
> guix.

Yeah! :-)
Feel free to give a try and report on help-guix or guix-devel or #guix
your progress or you are stuck.

> > Please could you report which packages do not work properly for you?

I am using emacs@26.3, for comparison.
And Guix 2c8305d14 which is one month older.

> - emacs-lua-mode:
>
> Getting this error:
> Error (use-package): lua-mode/:catch: Unknown rx form ‘symbol’

I am using  emacs-lua-mode@20191204-1.1f596a9 and I do not have such
issue.  But I remember something similar and it was coming from
init.el file; at the time my Emacs packages was loaded with
'use-package' and now they are loaded with 'with-eval-after-load'.
Well, I do not remember exactly, sorry.

> - emacs-org-super-agenda:
>
> First I missed this was packaged up in guix. But now when I try and
> build it, one of its dependencies `emacs-ts` fails to build. One of the
> tests are failing. I've attached the log

Thank you for the report.  As you can see with the Data Service, it
seems that a regression has been introduced.

https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs-ts/output-history
https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs-ts/derivation-history

The log corresponding is:

http://ci.guix.gnu.org/log/k45l3rcrr81qwkh6w9l0b1gsn6xbm2jd-emacs-ts-0.1-2.395649a

and as you have noticed, the test 'ts-update' fails.

Hum? The regression is probably introduced by commit 4ef89d884.

> - emacs-magit:
>
> This is just a minor thing. But the highlight/diff in the magit buffer
> is more of a tight fit, which looks ugly. Where as if I use magit from
> melpa the highlight/diff is a straight block. I've attached a screenshot
> on how this looks. Left is emacs-magit, right is melpa magit.

I am using it and I not see what you are seeing.  But I am not using
an older Guix than b2d35dd9a.

> - emacs-ledger-mode:
>
> Does not work with flymake.

I did not try.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-30  2:13       ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-05-30  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

> Re-source the profile seems enough. :-)

True, although I usually launch my programs from rofi and I haven't
figured out how to re-source the environment for that.

> Feel free to give a try and report on help-guix or guix-devel or #guix
> your progress or you are stuck.

Thanks, I just sent a patch for adding emacs-buffer-move. Figured I
start with one and see how that goes. Then follow with the rest.

Really digging the git send-email workflow.

> I am using emacs@26.3, for comparison.
> And Guix 2c8305d14 which is one month older.

> I am using  emacs-lua-mode@20191204-1.1f596a9 and I do not have such
> issue.  But I remember something similar and it was coming from
> init.el file; at the time my Emacs packages was loaded with
> 'use-package' and now they are loaded with 'with-eval-after-load'.
> Well, I do not remember exactly, sorry.

Yeah, my errors are probably due to I'm using emacs-next (27.0.91) and
`use-package`. And I still need the ability for emacs to download all my
packages as I don't have access to guix on my work machine. Although I'm
toying with the idea of using `guix pack' to deploy emacs on my work
machine.

>> - emacs-org-super-agenda:
>
> Thank you for the report.  As you can see with the Data Service, it
> seems that a regression has been introduced.
>
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs-ts/output-history
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs-ts/derivation-history
>
> The log corresponding is:
>
> http://ci.guix.gnu.org/log/k45l3rcrr81qwkh6w9l0b1gsn6xbm2jd-emacs-ts-0.1-2.395649a
>
> and as you have noticed, the test 'ts-update' fails.
>

> Hum? The regression is probably introduced by commit 4ef89d884.

Oh, did not know about the data service. Thanks for pointing that out. I
did a `guix import elpa -a melpa-stable -r ts` and that built fine. So
maybe just update emacs-ts from 0.1 to 0.2 will fix the issue.

>> - emacs-magit:
> I am using it and I not see what you are seeing.  But I am not using
> an older Guix than b2d35dd9a.

Probably an issue that I'm using emacs 27 instead of emacs 26.

>> - emacs-ledger-mode:
>
> I did not try.

No worries.

Anyways thanks for all the help!

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-05-31  2:29     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-05-31  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hello!

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> - emacs-magit:
>
> This is just a minor thing. But the highlight/diff in the magit buffer
> is more of a tight fit, which looks ugly. Where as if I use magit from
> melpa the highlight/diff is a straight block. I've attached a screenshot
> on how this looks. Left is emacs-magit, right is melpa magit.

I'm not sure why that could be, but I merged a newer version of Magit
recently.  If you guix pull now and upgrade your packages, you should
get the new one.

I also can recommend to stick to using just Emacs packages from Guix,
and contributing the missing ones you encounter (as you found out, it's
relatively simple, and fun! :-)).  This way you are sure to use packages
that were byte compiled for your Emacs version.

Maxim

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-01  3:42       ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-06-01  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure why that could be, but I merged a newer version of Magit
> recently.  If you guix pull now and upgrade your packages, you should
> get the new one.

Just did a pull, upgrade my packages and now magit works as expected.
Thanks!

> I also can recommend to stick to using just Emacs packages from Guix,
> and contributing the missing ones you encounter (as you found out, it's
> relatively simple, and fun! :-)).  This way you are sure to use packages
> that were byte compiled for your Emacs version.

Yeah, that's the path I'm going to take to avoid future headaches. And I
just got my first contribution merged into guix (yay!). I got some
feedback on what I did wrong. Which I'll try and not to repeat in the
coming package definitions I'm planing to make (cargo (the emacs mode),
flymake-shellcheck, glsl-mode and meson-mode).

Question regarding the emacs-xyz.scm. I see it is divided into four
different categories; Emacs hacking, Web browsing, Multimedia and
Miscellaneous. But what is the order for the package definitions in
those categories?

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-01  8:15         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-06-01  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fredrik,

On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 04:13, Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> wrote:

> True, although I usually launch my programs from rofi and I haven't
> figured out how to re-source the environment for that.

I do not know what rofi is but re-sourcing is faster to check is the
new change works than any other. :-)

> > Feel free to give a try and report on help-guix or guix-devel or #guix
> > your progress or you are stuck.
>
> Thanks, I just sent a patch for adding emacs-buffer-move. Figured I
> start with one and see how that goes. Then follow with the rest.
>
> Really digging the git send-email workflow.

Nice!  Thank you for your contribution.
As you can seen, add Emacs packages is in general fun and rewarding. :-)
Do not hesitate to report your difficulties on mailing lists help-guix
or guix-devel or IRC #guix.

> > I am using  emacs-lua-mode@20191204-1.1f596a9 and I do not have such
> > issue.  But I remember something similar and it was coming from
> > init.el file; at the time my Emacs packages was loaded with
> > 'use-package' and now they are loaded with 'with-eval-after-load'.
> > Well, I do not remember exactly, sorry.
>
> Yeah, my errors are probably due to I'm using emacs-next (27.0.91) and
> `use-package`. And I still need the ability for emacs to download all my
> packages as I don't have access to guix on my work machine. Although I'm
> toying with the idea of using `guix pack' to deploy emacs on my work
> machine.

Yes, "guix pack" is an an option if your work machine run the Linux
kernel.  Otherwise, it should be a bazooka to kill a tiny fly. :-)

However, the main advantage to use for producing your Emacs setup is
that it is harder to break it and when it did, you can (almost) always
roll-back.  For example, I track (git) the channel that I used: guix
describe -f channels > foo.scm && git commit -a and I use manifests
files tracked too.  Therefore, I can easily use the same setup on
another machine running Guix or restore previous setup without keeping
all the generations in the store.  Anyway. :-)

> > Hum? The regression is probably introduced by commit 4ef89d884.
>
> Oh, did not know about the data service. Thanks for pointing that out. I
> did a `guix import elpa -a melpa-stable -r ts` and that built fine. So
> maybe just update emacs-ts from 0.1 to 0.2 will fix the issue.
>
> >> - emacs-magit:
> > I am using it and I not see what you are seeing.  But I am not using
> > an older Guix than b2d35dd9a.
>
> Probably an issue that I'm using emacs 27 instead of emacs 26.

Is it fixed now for you?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-01 17:12           ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-06-01 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Zimoun,

> I do not know what rofi is but re-sourcing is faster to check is the
> new change works than any other. :-)

It is just an application launcher, but yes re-sourcing is a bit faster.
:)

> Nice!  Thank you for your contribution.
> As you can seen, add Emacs packages is in general fun and rewarding. :-)
> Do not hesitate to report your difficulties on mailing lists help-guix
> or guix-devel or IRC #guix.

Thank you. Indeed it was. I'm still learning the ropes but got some good
feedback from my first contribution. So I'll continue adding the rest of
the emacs packages that I'm missing.

> Yes, "guix pack" is an an option if your work machine run the Linux
> kernel.  Otherwise, it should be a bazooka to kill a tiny fly. :-)

I'm quite lucky that my work machine is also running the linux kernel.
Although a quite outdated one, it predates user namespaces support. But
yeah, `guix pack` might be a bit overkill.

> However, the main advantage to use for producing your Emacs setup is
> that it is harder to break it and when it did, you can (almost) always
> roll-back.  For example, I track (git) the channel that I used: guix
> describe -f channels > foo.scm && git commit -a and I use manifests
> files tracked too.  Therefore, I can easily use the same setup on
> another machine running Guix or restore previous setup without keeping
> all the generations in the store.  Anyway. :-)

Nice, that is a pretty nice way of having it reproducible. Which my
setup with use-package is not. It is easy to deploy but not to reproduce
it and rolling back is non-existent. So guix ticks all the boxes for me
:).

> Is it fixed now for you?

emacs-magit - yes. emacs-ts is still failing.

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-01 18:37         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2020-06-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fredrik,

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> I also can recommend to stick to using just Emacs packages from Guix,
>> and contributing the missing ones you encounter (as you found out, it's
>> relatively simple, and fun! :-)).  This way you are sure to use packages
>> that were byte compiled for your Emacs version.
>
> Yeah, that's the path I'm going to take to avoid future headaches. And I
> just got my first contribution merged into guix (yay!). I got some
> feedback on what I did wrong. Which I'll try and not to repeat in the
> coming package definitions I'm planing to make (cargo (the emacs mode),
> flymake-shellcheck, glsl-mode and meson-mode).

Great! :-)

> Question regarding the emacs-xyz.scm. I see it is divided into four
> different categories; Emacs hacking, Web browsing, Multimedia and
> Miscellaneous. But what is the order for the package definitions in
> those categories?

Ha, I had forgotten myself that the emacs-xyz module was organized in
such sections (shame!).  In any way, I don't think the order of the
package definitions matter much.  I usually use whatever is most logical
(group tightly related packages), otherwise alphabetically.

Maxim

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-02 10:25             ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-06-02 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Dear Fredrik

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 19:12, Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm quite lucky that my work machine is also running the linux kernel.
> Although a quite outdated one, it predates user namespaces support. But
> yeah, `guix pack` might be a bit overkill.

Yes and no. :-)
You can see for example this blog entry [1].

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/

> > Is it fixed now for you?
>
> emacs-magit - yes. emacs-ts is still failing.

Could you open a bug report for this?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-02 17:34               ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-06-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Zimoun,

> Yes and no. :-)
> You can see for example this blog entry [1].
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/

Thanks for the link. Will give guix pack a try when I'm back at my
machine at work. Right now I'm working from home so I don't need to have
emacs on my work machine. Tramp covers that bit for me.

>> > Is it fixed now for you?
>>
>> emacs-magit - yes. emacs-ts is still failing.
>
> Could you open a bug report for this?

I was too slow :). Did a `guix pull` and updated to
86a03090afa711dfa2f141caee820b66d7942bc3 and it is now fixed. Will
create a bug report for emacs-lua-mode and emacs-ledger-mode as those
two are still broken for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-02 17:37           ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-06-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

>> Question regarding the emacs-xyz.scm. I see it is divided into four
>> different categories; Emacs hacking, Web browsing, Multimedia and
>> Miscellaneous. But what is the order for the package definitions in
>> those categories?
>
> Ha, I had forgotten myself that the emacs-xyz module was organized in
> such sections (shame!).  In any way, I don't think the order of the
> package definitions matter much.  I usually use whatever is most logical
> (group tightly related packages), otherwise alphabetically.

Ok, thanks. Then I'll try and place them where I think they'll fit.
Worst case someone will just move them to a better place.

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-11  9:24                 ` Alexey Abramov
From: Alexey Abramov @ 2020-06-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Zimoun,
>
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Yes and no. :-)
>> You can see for example this blog entry [1].
>>
>> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/
>
> Thanks for the link. Will give guix pack a try when I'm back at my
> machine at work. Right now I'm working from home so I don't need to have
> emacs on my work machine. Tramp covers that bit for me.

>>> emacs-magit - yes. emacs-ts is still failing.
>>
>> Could you open a bug report for this?
>
> I was too slow :). Did a `guix pull` and updated to
> 86a03090afa711dfa2f141caee820b66d7942bc3 and it is now fixed. Will
> create a bug report for emacs-lua-mode and emacs-ledger-mode as those
> two are still broken for me.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.

AFAIK emacs-ts is failing on check. There are couple of PRs in the upstream:

https://github.com/alphapapa/ts.el/pull/9
https://github.com/alphapapa/ts.el/pull/8

Regarding the magit highlighting, emacs 27 has a new face attribute
:extend. You can read about the issue here https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37774

,----[ C-h i d m emacs s :extend ]
|    This is one of the few faces that has the ‘:extend t’ attribute by
| default, which implies that the same face is used to highlight the text
| and space between end of line and the window border.  To highlight only
| the text you could set this attribute to ‘nil’.
`----

Magit fix is on the master already https://github.com/magit/magit/commit/891ebdca58ef498ff3b94c8ac2921cc6b72c3d25

In the meantime you can do something like this:

(dolist (face '(magit-diff-hunk-heading
                  magit-diff-hunk-heading-highlight
                  magit-diff-hunk-heading-selection
                  magit-diff-hunk-region
                  magit-diff-lines-heading
                  magit-diff-lines-boundary
                  magit-diff-conflict-heading
                  magit-diff-added
                  magit-diff-removed
                  magit-diff-our
                  magit-diff-base
                  magit-diff-their
                  magit-diff-context
                  magit-diff-added-highlight
                  magit-diff-removed-highlight
                  magit-diff-our-highlight
                  magit-diff-base-highlight
                  magit-diff-their-highlight
                  magit-diff-context-highlight
                  magit-diff-whitespace-warning
                  magit-diffstat-added
                  magit-diffstat-removed
                  magit-section-heading
                  magit-section-heading-selection
                  magit-section-highlight
                  magit-section-secondary-heading
                  magit-diff-file-heading
                  magit-diff-file-heading-highlight
                  magit-diff-file-heading-selection))
    (set-face-attribute face nil :extend t))

Alexey

* Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
@ 2020-06-11 16:50                   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-06-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Abramov; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Alexey,

Alexey Abramov <levenson@mmer.org> writes:

> AFAIK emacs-ts is failing on check. There are couple of PRs in the upstream:
>
> https://github.com/alphapapa/ts.el/pull/9
> https://github.com/alphapapa/ts.el/pull/8

Strange, it built fine for me with guix commit:
ba6d3612550f5d978c4b5b1df122444f8fb29377. Maybe those checks aren't fatal?

> Regarding the magit highlighting, emacs 27 has a new face attribute
> :extend. You can read about the issue here https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37774
>
> ,----[ C-h i d m emacs s :extend ]
> |    This is one of the few faces that has the ‘:extend t’ attribute by
> | default, which implies that the same face is used to highlight the text
> | and space between end of line and the window border.  To highlight only
> | the text you could set this attribute to ‘nil’.
> `----

Nice, did not know about the :extend attribute.

> Magit fix is on the master already https://github.com/magit/magit/commit/891ebdca58ef498ff3b94c8ac2921cc6b72c3d25
>
> In the meantime you can do something like this:

> (dolist (face '(magit-diff-hunk-heading
>                   magit-diff-hunk-heading-highlight
>                   magit-diff-hunk-heading-selection
>                   magit-diff-hunk-region
>                   magit-diff-lines-heading
>                   magit-diff-lines-boundary
>                   magit-diff-conflict-heading
>                   magit-diff-added
>                   magit-diff-removed
>                   magit-diff-our
>                   magit-diff-base
>                   magit-diff-their
>                   magit-diff-context
>                   magit-diff-added-highlight
>                   magit-diff-removed-highlight
>                   magit-diff-our-highlight
>                   magit-diff-base-highlight
>                   magit-diff-their-highlight
>                   magit-diff-context-highlight
>                   magit-diff-whitespace-warning
>                   magit-diffstat-added
>                   magit-diffstat-removed
>                   magit-section-heading
>                   magit-section-heading-selection
>                   magit-section-highlight
>                   magit-section-secondary-heading
>                   magit-diff-file-heading
>                   magit-diff-file-heading-highlight
>                   magit-diff-file-heading-selection))
>     (set-face-attribute face nil :extend t))

This seems to be fixed in the version of guix I'm using. I don't have
that issue anymore and I'm using emacs 27 and magit from guix.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g