unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
To: "Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels>
Cc: "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org>,  help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:27:56 -0400	[thread overview]

"Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> writes:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> It does appear from the website that 4GB is the peak. It would be nice
> to take advantage of the open schematics and replace enough hardware
> to overcome this but that would be wasteful indulgence.
>
> Personally, I probably should prioritise a solid desktop/server to
> handle more onerous chores (such as buildfarming and compiling). And
> also a superb external keyboard... and then wait until the wheels fall
> off one of my laptops machines.

I'm down for that!  I'm actually hoping to crowdfund/purchase a Raptor
server.  There's a local ISP in town here.  Most of the businesses use
it.  I could approach them and ask how much it would cost to host a
server at their property.  Then it's just a matter of convincing people
to help me raise $9,000.  Something like, let's get a Guix Power9 build
server that guix people can hack on.  If you give $10, you get a
guix.gnu.org/~username webpage/gemini webpage for a year.  If you donate
$20, you get the previous perks plus an email account and so on.  Would
you like to help me work on this?

> Im still jealous of your 32GB Ram server, if you have enough ICT
> signal you may as well switch to a leaner laptop which interacts with
> your mothership.

That 32GB RAM server is for sale!  For $200 I can sell it to you for
16GB of RAM.  For $300 I can sell it for 16GB of RAM.  If you live in
the U.S., shipping would be pretty easy.

> FYI, Im getting increasing satisfaction from Gemini - so my RAM needs should be shrinking considerably.
>
> Also, because of the Guix Linode cookbook (thanks guys!) I even got around to pushing out a Gemini capsule.
> => https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/html_node/Running-Guix-on-a-Linode-Server.html#Running-Guix-on-a-Linode-Server

Haha.  Chris Lemmer-Webber wrote the guide.  I just put it in the
cookbook.  :)

> Im really pleased that Guix is getting a grip on how to manage open hardware and more FOSS centric infrastructure.
>
> Thanks for the pointer re Luke Leighton, i hope to investigate that
> down the road. Also, curious about the intersection between the MNT
> Reform team and Amiga hardware (extensions?).

I interview him a week or two ago?  He's got some really ambitious
plans for it.  He's also hiring for hardware/software developers.

https://video.hardlimit.com/videos/watch/da57d61c-b2e9-473c-9ed0-9390bf610f67

(The video is also available on the non-free platform.  You know which
one).  :)

https://libre-soc.org/