unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Ben Sturmfels via <help-guix@gnu.org>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
Cc: Guix Help <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Gnome Tracker (tracker-miner-fs-3) behaving badly
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 11:56:48 +1000	[thread overview]

Ben Sturmfels

Sturm Software Engineering
www.sturm.com.au
+61 3 9024 2467

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Tracker logging every file it sees wouldn't be a good idea: apart from the wasted space, you'd be adding even more I/O load to the mix...
>
> Try stracing (guix install strace) tracker's PID(s) instead.  It will generate more output than you need, but file names should be obvious, and you can use grep to further filter the output.

Thanks Tobias, I'll give strace a shot. Regarding th logging - I'm not
entirely convinced that this would be a space/performance issue for most
use-cases, such as this personal/work laptop with email, code, photos
and media. I wouldn't expect to be generating new files or modifying
existing files at such a rate that the logging would create a problem,
and log rotation would take care of the wasted space eventually.

Regards,
Ben