unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Emacs Guix and channels
@ 2021-01-20 19:32 Sergiu Ivanov
  2021-01-21 16:12 ` John Soo
  2021-01-25 12:47 ` zimoun
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2021-01-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix Masters,

I am moving to Guix after 4 years of using Nix, mainly because Guix is
Lisp-based and Emacs friendly, and because I love the documentation.

Speaking of Emacs, I ran into the following problem.  I use an
additional channel which I add in /etc/guix/channels.scm (I also tried
symlinking or copying this file to ~/.config/guix/).  Running Guix
commands in a terminal (guix system reconfigure, guix package) detects
the additional channel correctly, while invoking the corresponding Emacs
commands fails telling me that the packages from the additional channel
are unknown.

I fired up a Guix REPL in a terminal and did

> (use-modules (gnu packages))
> (%package-module-path)

The output includes the additional channel.  However, when I do the same
actions in the Guix REPL in Emacs, I do not see the additional channel.

How do you manage additional channels with Emacs Guix interface?

-
Sergiu


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-20 19:32 Emacs Guix and channels Sergiu Ivanov
@ 2021-01-21 16:12 ` John Soo
  2021-01-21 17:34   ` Sergiu Ivanov
  2021-01-25 12:47 ` zimoun
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergiu Ivanov; +Cc: Help-Guix

     Hi Sergiu, 

 
As far as I understand it, that is bug in emacs-guix, apologies.    There is certainly a lot to fix.
 

 
Kindly,
 

 
John
     

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-21 16:12 ` John Soo
@ 2021-01-21 17:34   ` Sergiu Ivanov
  2021-01-21 20:20     ` jbranso--- via
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2021-01-21 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Help-Guix

Hi John,

Thus quoth  John Soo  on Thu Jan 21 2021 at 17:12 (+0100):
>      Hi Sergiu, 
>
>  
> As far as I understand it, that is bug in emacs-guix, apologies.

Absolutely no worries: I can live with running Guix commands in
ansi-term for quite a while.

> There is certainly a lot to fix.

Tell me how I can help.

I picked up Guix a couple of weeks ago and my Elisp programming
experience is quite limited, but I may still be useful :-)

-
Cheers,
Sergiu

 
> Kindly,
>  
>
>  
> John
>      



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-21 17:34   ` Sergiu Ivanov
@ 2021-01-21 20:20     ` jbranso--- via
  2021-01-22  9:29       ` Sergiu Ivanov
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: jbranso--- via @ 2021-01-21 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergiu Ivanov; +Cc: Help-Guix

Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr> writes:

> Hi John,
> Tell me how I can help.
>
> I picked up Guix a couple of weeks ago and my Elisp programming
> experience is quite limited, but I may still be useful :-)
>

I think emacs-guix has been broken for a while.  There is a new effort
to fix it.  The new home for emacs-guix is at savannah.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/emacs-guix.git

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/emacs-guix.git
#+END_SRC

Other relevant links:

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00170.html

Best of luck!

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus
  https://gnucode.me
  https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
  https://propernaming.org
  "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-21 20:20     ` jbranso--- via
@ 2021-01-22  9:29       ` Sergiu Ivanov
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2021-01-22  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Help-Guix

Thus quoth  Joshua Branson  on Thu Jan 21 2021 at 21:20 (+0100):
> Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi John,
>> Tell me how I can help.
>>
>> I picked up Guix a couple of weeks ago and my Elisp programming
>> experience is quite limited, but I may still be useful :-)
>>
>
> I think emacs-guix has been broken for a while.  There is a new effort
> to fix it.

Ah, that's good news.  My impression from hanging around the Guix
ecosystem for a little while is that Emacs integration is a popular
selling point, so it would be nice to have it working :-)

> The new home for emacs-guix is at savannah.
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/emacs-guix.git
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC sh
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/emacs-guix.git
> #+END_SRC

Thanks a lot, I wasn't aware of this recent migration!  I'll check later
today which version of Emacs-Guix I am using.

I will not be available for contributions immediately, but I should be
good to go in a couple of weeks, and Emacs-Guix seems like a nice first
target. (Unless John and the other contributors fix all the issues in
the meantime :D)

> Other relevant links:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00170.html

Thank you for all these links!  Very helpful.

-
Sergiu


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-20 19:32 Emacs Guix and channels Sergiu Ivanov
  2021-01-21 16:12 ` John Soo
@ 2021-01-25 12:47 ` zimoun
  2021-01-25 20:59   ` Sergiu Ivanov
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: zimoun @ 2021-01-25 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergiu Ivanov, help-guix

Hi Sergiu,

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 20:32, Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr> wrote:

> I am moving to Guix after 4 years of using Nix, mainly because Guix is
> Lisp-based and Emacs friendly, and because I love the documentation.

Nice to see you there!

If I remember correctly our quick chat in some previous
(french/parisian?)  Emacs Meetup, you could be interested by: Guix
Workflow Language (GWL) [1] which is an experiment for a better
(opinionated!) alternative to Snakemake or Common Workflow Language…
maybe Makefile. ;-)

And in case, do not miss Guix and Science [2], focused on HPC, but time
to time about Reproducible Science and friends.  Discussions happen on
#guix-hpc [3] and (low) traffic on guix-science mailing list [4].

1: <https://workflows.guix.info/>
2: <https://hpc.guix.info/>
3: <https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix-hpc>
4: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-science/>


Cheers,
simon




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs Guix and channels
  2021-01-25 12:47 ` zimoun
@ 2021-01-25 20:59   ` Sergiu Ivanov
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2021-01-25 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi simon,

Thus quoth  zimoun  on Mon Jan 25 2021 at 13:47 (+0100):
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 20:32, Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov@colimite.fr> wrote:
>
>> I am moving to Guix after 4 years of using Nix, mainly because Guix is
>> Lisp-based and Emacs friendly, and because I love the documentation.
>
> Nice to see you there!
>
> If I remember correctly our quick chat in some previous
> (french/parisian?)  Emacs Meetup,

Aaah, right!  I thought your nickname and your name felt familiar, but
I had trouble connecting the Meetup and this mailing list ^.^

> you could be interested by: Guix Workflow Language (GWL) [1] which is
> an experiment for a better (opinionated!) alternative to Snakemake or
> Common Workflow Language…  maybe Makefile. ;-)

GWL looks dope!  I have a couple questions, but I'll have to think more
about it.

> And in case, do not miss Guix and Science [2], focused on HPC, but time
> to time about Reproducible Science and friends.

Cool!  My work is somewhat far from HPC, but I bump into this domain
from time to time.  Reproducible Science on the other hand interests me
a lot, and this may be an excellent opportunity to do more of it.

> Discussions happen on #guix-hpc [3] and (low) traffic on guix-science
> mailing list [4].

Subscribed to guix-science!

Thanks a lot simon for your message and the references, I really feel
welcome ^.^

-
Sergiu


> 1: <https://workflows.guix.info/>
> 2: <https://hpc.guix.info/>
> 3: <https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix-hpc>
> 4: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-science/>
>
>
> Cheers,
> simon



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-25 20:59 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-01-20 19:32 Emacs Guix and channels Sergiu Ivanov
2021-01-21 16:12 ` John Soo
2021-01-21 17:34   ` Sergiu Ivanov
2021-01-21 20:20     ` jbranso--- via
2021-01-22  9:29       ` Sergiu Ivanov
2021-01-25 12:47 ` zimoun
2021-01-25 20:59   ` Sergiu Ivanov

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git