unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to have guile module available during sudo system reconfigure?
@ 2024-08-20 21:43 Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-08-20 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix,

I did run into an interesting (frustrating?) problem.  I created a
package that bundles few Guile modules of my making.  I installed it
into my home environment and wanted to use helpers from it in my system
configuration.  However I am not sure how to do that.

When I do

guix system build some/config.scm

The system builds and everything is fine.

However when try to reconfigure the system using

sudo guix system reconfigure some/config.scm

It fails with a very descriptive error of

ice-9/eval.scm:142:16: In procedure compile-top-call:
error: system-add-luks: unbound variable
hint: Did you forget `(use-modules (wolfsnet systems))'?

I managed to track it down to module from my package not being
importable.  Since I have it in my home environment, all non-sudo
commands work, however when I add in the sudo to actually install the
new system it does not find it.

I am not sure what to do about this.  I have tried to install the
package into system, but that does not seem to have any effect.

-E flag to sudo was suggested on IRC, and that works, however
documentation does not use it so I am bit scared of various site
effects it could have.

Does anyone know how to approach this?

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.