unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Cannot clone repositories over HTTPS with Git
@ 2016-04-20  9:32 Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2016-04-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear Guix,

With the Git provided by GNU Guix, I cannot seem to clone repositories
over HTTPS:
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/roelj/inklingreader.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none

Am I missing a package that provides common CA files?

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Cannot clone repositories over HTTPS with Git
@ 2016-04-20 12:15 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-04-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Dear Guix,
>
> With the Git provided by GNU Guix, I cannot seem to clone repositories
> over HTTPS:
> fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/roelj/inklingreader.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
>
> Am I missing a package that provides common CA files?

GIT_SSL_CAINFO=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

This "just works" on GuixSD.

* Re: Cannot clone repositories over HTTPS with Git
@ 2016-04-20 12:27   ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2016-04-20 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

Thompson, David writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Dear Guix,
>>
>> With the Git provided by GNU Guix, I cannot seem to clone repositories
>> over HTTPS:
>> fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/roelj/inklingreader.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
>>
>> Am I missing a package that provides common CA files?
>
> GIT_SSL_CAINFO=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
>
> This "just works" on GuixSD.

Thank you for your reply.  Do you know which package provides
"/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"? (And how could I have found out?)

Thanks!

@ 2016-04-20 16:55     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: help-guix

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> skribis:

> Thompson, David writes:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> wrote:
>>> Dear Guix,
>>>
>>> With the Git provided by GNU Guix, I cannot seem to clone repositories
>>> over HTTPS:
>>> fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/roelj/inklingreader.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: none CRLfile: none
>>>
>>> Am I missing a package that provides common CA files?
>>
>> GIT_SSL_CAINFO=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
>>
>> This "just works" on GuixSD.
>
> Thank you for your reply.  Do you know which package provides
> "/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"? (And how could I have found out?)

It’s ‘nss-certs’:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/X_002e509-Certificates.html#X_002e509-Certificates

I’ve added a reference to this section under “Application Setup” so that
users on foreign distros are more likely to stumble upon it:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=b3129f2b761a371105e6d213519e5c71930cb419

HTH!

Ludo’.