unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Issues with my configuration
@ 2017-07-03  1:35 Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2017-07-03  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I've been eyeing GuixSD for awhile now. I've been tempted on installing on
my laptop (lenovo x220) but didn't want to mess something up. Then
beginning of this summer I bought an used x220 since I also wanted to try
out coreboot and again didn't want to mess with my main laptop, i.e.
bricking it.Got that running and I now had an extra laptop which I could do
whatever I want with. Which is a perfect opportunity try out GuixSD!

Noticed pretty quickly that having coreboot compiled without VGA support
wasn't the best idea. Without that the Grub menu didn't show at the
beginning which made it impossible to roll back when I borked the
configuration. Instead I needed to reinstall guixsd to get to a working
state. So I recompiled coreboot with VGA support and I could now select
what generation to boot.

After that I've been trying to set up GuixSD to mimic what I have on my
Arch install. I gotten to a working state but I hit some road blocks that I
can't figure out.

1)  Mounting a nfs disk.
I tried adding the nfs mount to file-systems.

> (file-system
>    (device "fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla")
>    (title 'device)
>    (mount-point "/media/Valhalla")
>    (type "nfs4")
>    (check? #f))

It works after I reconfigure guix

> sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm

But when I reboot, guixsd will not start it just hangs in the boot process.
Looks like a lot of services are failing.

2) Change shell for user to zsh.
I followed https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ on how to change
shell to zsh but getting this error when reconfiguring:

> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: no code for module (gnu packages zsh)

I can install zsh using guix package -i zsh and start it manually.

3) Keyboard mapping.
On my Arch install I have this

> #/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "system-keyboard"
> MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us,se"
> Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,grp:sclk_toggle,grp_led:scroll,:2"
> EndSection

Which does two things; remap caps to ctrl - reduces stress on my pinky when
working in emacs.
Let me toggle between Swedish and US keyboard layout with scroll lock, US
is by far easier to code and navigate the terminal with than Swedish.
The question is how do I translate this to GuixSD? Closest I could find in
the manual was about the X window, but didn't find anything that directly
matches what I want. And my search in the mail archive turned up empty.

4) /bin/env
In the manual, under Base Services
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Base-Services> it
describes how to add env to /bin. I tried adding that snippet to my
services but I don't see env in /bin after I reconfigure.

I've also noticed some odd issues with my keyboards that are running the qmk
firmware <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>. I've setup that my space
have a dual action, it's register as space when pressing and ctrl when
holding the key. But when using them in GuixSD it results in a 1s delay
every time I press space. Which gives a very sluggish impression when
typing in the terminal. It works fine if I disable that feature. I have not
experienced that issue in any other distro.

I've attached my full config.scm.

Thanks

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 2770 bytes --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup without full-blown desktop
;; environments.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu packages) (gnu system nss) (gnu system locale) (gnu services nfs))
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh)
(use-package-modules wm certs suckless)
;;(use-package-modules zsh)

(define plattfot
  (user-account
   (name "plattfot")
   (group "users")
   ;; Define a G-Expr to find the path of the zsh binary:
   ;; https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ#how-do-i-make-my-login-shell-zsh

   ;; Error
   ;; guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
   ;; ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
   ;; ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: no code for module (gnu packages zsh)

   ;; (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
   (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
   (home-directory "/home/plattfot")))

(operating-system
 (host-name "loke")
 (timezone "Canada/Pacific")
 (locale "en_US.utf8")
 (locale-definitions
  (list
   (locale-definition (name "en_US.utf8") (source "en_US") (charset "UTF-8"))
   (locale-definition (name "sv_SE.utf8") (source "sv_SE") (charset "UTF-8"))))
 ;; Assuming /dev/sda is the target hard disk, and "root"
 ;; is the label of the target root file system.
 (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))

 ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
 ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
 (mapped-devices
  (list (mapped-device
	 (source (uuid "de52fa25-e7d0-4d63-8a35-91e561964043"))
	 (target "the-root-device")
	 (type luks-device-mapping))))

 (file-systems (cons* (file-system
		       (device "root")
		       (title 'label)
		       (mount-point "/")
		       (type "ext4")
		       (dependencies mapped-devices))
		      ;; GuixSD wont start with this enabled
		      ;; (file-system
		      ;;  (device "fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla")
		      ;;  (title 'device)
		      ;;  (mount-point "/media/Valhalla")
		      ;;  (type "nfs4")
		      ;;  (check? #f))
                      %base-file-systems))

 (users (cons plattfot %base-user-accounts))

 ;; Add a bunch of window managers; we can choose one at
 ;; the log-in screen with F1.
 (packages (cons* i3-wm i3status dmenu ;window managers
		  ;; zsh
		  nss-certs            ;for HTTPS access
		  %base-packages))

 ;; Use the "desktop" services, which include the X11
 ;; log-in service, networking with Wicd, and more.
 (services (cons* (service openssh-service-type
			   (openssh-configuration
			    (port-number 6060)))
		  (extra-special-file "/usr/bin/env"
				      (file-append coreutils "/bin/env"))
		  %desktop-services))

 ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
 (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: Issues with my configuration
@ 2017-07-04  9:30 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-07-04  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fredrik,

> 1)  Mounting a nfs disk.
> I tried adding the nfs mount to file-systems.
>
>> (file-system
>>    (device "fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla")
>>    (title 'device)
>>    (mount-point "/media/Valhalla")
>>    (type "nfs4")
>>    (check? #f))
>
> It works after I reconfigure guix
>
>> sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>
> But when I reboot, guixsd will not start it just hangs in the boot process.
> Looks like a lot of services are failing.

Do you want this to be mounted on boot?  I don’t think there’s a way to
express that a mount should happen after the network has come up (yet).

You can only tell Guix not to try to mount the disk on boot.  Use
auto-mounting to mount the disk on demand at a later point.  (We don’t
have a service for autofs yet.)

Your contributions in this area would be welcome!

> 2) Change shell for user to zsh.
> I followed https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ on how to change
> shell to zsh but getting this error when reconfiguring:
>
>> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: no code for module (gnu packages zsh)

There is no module “(gnu packages zsh)”.  “zsh” is now in “(gnu packages
shells)”.

> 3) Keyboard mapping.
[…]

> The question is how do I translate this to GuixSD? Closest I could find in
> the manual was about the X window, but didn't find anything that directly
> matches what I want.

Here’s what I do in my config:

(define dvorak-evdev
  (call-with-input-file "/etc/config.d/evdev.conf" read-string))

[…]

(operating-system …
  (services …
    (modify-services %desktop-services
      (slim-service-type
       config => (slim-configuration
                  (inherit config)
                  (startx (xorg-start-command
                           #:configuration-file
                           (xorg-configuration-file
                            #:extra-config
                            (list dvorak-evdev))))))
                            …)))

You can use something like that to add to the xorg configuration file.
Just put your snippet in a file and slurp it up.

> 4) /bin/env
> In the manual, under Base Services
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Base-Services> it
> describes how to add env to /bin. I tried adding that snippet to my
> services but I don't see env in /bin after I reconfigure.

Not sure about this one.  Your config looks okay to me.  I’m not using
this myself, so I don’t know if there’s a bug in our documentation.

> I've also noticed some odd issues with my keyboards that are running the qmk
> firmware <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>. I've setup that my space
> have a dual action, it's register as space when pressing and ctrl when
> holding the key. But when using them in GuixSD it results in a 1s delay
> every time I press space. Which gives a very sluggish impression when
> typing in the terminal. It works fine if I disable that feature. I have not
> experienced that issue in any other distro.

Don’t know about this one.  Is any kernel firmware loading mechanism
involved or do you suspect an xorg configuration problem?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default
@ 2017-07-04 19:12   ` Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2017-07-04 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix, Fredrik Salomonsson

> 2) Change shell for user to zsh.
> I followed https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ on how to change
> shell to zsh but getting this error when reconfiguring:
>
>> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: no code for module (gnu packages zsh)
>
> I can install zsh using guix package -i zsh and start it manually.

This works for me:

(use-package-modules shells)

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "admin")
                (comment "")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
                (home-directory "/home/admin"))
               %base-user-accounts))

Though I'm not yet sure how to change the root accounts shell to zsh.

Anyone know that?

> [...]
>> describes how to add env to /bin. I tried adding that snippet to my
>> services but I don't see env in /bin after I reconfigure.
>
> Not sure about this one.  Your config looks okay to me.  I’m not using
> this myself, so I don’t know if there’s a bug in our documentation.
>
>> I've also noticed some odd issues with my keyboards that are running the qmk
>> firmware <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>. I've setup that my space
>> have a dual action, it's register as space when pressing and ctrl when
>> holding the key. But when using them in GuixSD it results in a 1s delay
>> every time I press space. Which gives a very sluggish impression when
>> typing in the terminal. It works fine if I disable that feature. I have not
>> experienced that issue in any other distro.
>
> Don’t know about this one.  Is any kernel firmware loading mechanism
> involved or do you suspect an xorg configuration problem?

Best regards,

Divan Santana

Red Hat Certified Architect

RHCA | CCNA | MCSE

Mobile: +27 82 787 8522
Email: divan@santanas.co.za

* Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default
@ 2017-07-05  6:52     ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2017-07-05  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Divan Santana; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10363 bytes --]

1)

> Do you want this to be mounted on boot?  I don’t think there’s a way to
> express that a mount should happen after the network has come up (yet).

You can only tell Guix not to try to mount the disk on boot.  Use
> auto-mounting to mount the disk on demand at a later point.  (We don’t
> have a service for autofs yet.)

Your contributions in this area would be welcome!

Ideally I would like it to be mounted on boot. Only thing I found was in
the mount manpage <https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount> which mention the
option _netdev. That will supposedly wait until the network is up before
mounting. But I'm not sure if GuixSD (Shepherd?) is using mount or not.

How do I mount it manually after boot? I see it's in the fstab but I cannot
run mount. It's complain about wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock...
And mention that it might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program. When I
run
sudo mount /media/Valhalla

I would love to contribute. But my experience with guile right now is
minimal. So my plan is to first familiarize myself with guile and guix by
first package up some stuff I notice are missing in guix that I use. Any
recommendations on books, tutorials etc on guile would be helpful.

2)

> There is no module “(gnu packages zsh)”.  “zsh” is now in “(gnu packages
> shells)”.

>  (use-package-modules shells)
>   (users (cons (user-account
>                 (name "admin")
>                 (comment "")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/admin"))
>                %base-user-accounts))

This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package
belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.

3)

> Here’s what I do in my config:

> (define dvorak-evdev
>   (call-with-input-file "/etc/config.d/evdev.conf" read-string))
>
> […]
> (operating-system …
>   (services …
>     (modify-services %desktop-services
>       (slim-service-type
>        config => (slim-configuration
>                   (inherit config)
>                   (startx (xorg-start-command
>                            #:configuration-file
>                            (xorg-configuration-file
>                             #:extra-config
>                             (list dvorak-evdev))))))
>                             …)))
>
> You can use something like that to add to the xorg configuration file.
> Just put your snippet in a file and slurp it up.

Tried doing something similar but getting errors on the read-string.
First I got:
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
/etc/config.scm:23:24: /etc/config.scm:23:24: In procedure module-lookup:
Unbound variable: read-string

After searching in the guile manual I found a read-string in the module
(sxml ssax input-parse), loaded that and now I get.
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
sxml/upstream/input-parse.scm:318:11: In procedure read-string:
sxml/upstream/input-parse.scm:318:11: In procedure <: Wrong type: #<input:
/etc/config.d/00-keyboard.conf 14>

I'm probably missing something.
I've attached my new config.scm and xorg file.

> 4) /bin/env
> > In the manual, under Base Services
> > <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Base-Services> it
> > describes how to add env to /bin. I tried adding that snippet to my
> > services but I don't see env in /bin after I reconfigure.

Not sure about this one.  Your config looks okay to me.  I’m not using
> this myself, so I don’t know if there’s a bug in our documentation.

It is working it was just me being stupid. I was looking in /bin for env,
but in my config it is set to /usr/bin/.

>> I've also noticed some odd issues with my keyboards that are running the
qmk
>> firmware <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>. I've setup that my space
>> have a dual action, it's register as space when pressing and ctrl when
>> holding the key. But when using them in GuixSD it results in a 1s delay
>> every time I press space. Which gives a very sluggish impression when
>> typing in the terminal. It works fine if I disable that feature. I have
not
>> experienced that issue in any other distro.
>
> Don’t know about this one.  Is any kernel firmware loading mechanism
> involved or do you suspect an xorg configuration problem?

I'm not sure about this one either. No kernel firmware mechanism is
involved as far as I know, I think the firmware just mimics a plain old usb
keyboard. From what I understand the dual action keys should be happening
in the firmware and the kernel shouldn't even notice any of this. But
that's just my assumption. Need to debug this further before I can draw any
conclusion if it's GuixSD or if it's my laptop. Just thought I mention it
in case someone have stumbled across it.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

[-- Attachment #2: config.scm.v2 --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup without full-blown desktop
;; environments.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu packages) (gnu system nss) (gnu system locale) (gnu services nfs) ;; (sxml ssax input-parse)
	     )
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh)
(use-package-modules wm certs suckless shells)
;;(use-package-modules zsh)

(define plattfot
  (user-account
   (name "plattfot")
   (group "users")
   ;; Define a G-Expr to find the path of the zsh binary:
   ;; https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ#how-do-i-make-my-login-shell-zsh
   (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
   (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
   (home-directory "/home/plattfot")))

(define keyboard-conf
  (call-with-input-file "/etc/config.d/00-keyboard.conf" read-string))

[...]

		       ;; (options "defaults")
		       (mount? #f)
[...]

		  ;; 					 (list keyboard-conf)))))))
		  ))

 ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
 (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

[-- Attachment #3: 00-keyboard.conf --]

# Map Ctrl to caps, toggle between us and swedish keyboard layout. Scroll lock led is on when using swedish layout.

@ 2017-07-05  8:25       ` Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2017-07-05  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> 2)
>
>> There is no module “(gnu packages zsh)”.  “zsh” is now in “(gnu packages
>> shells)”.
>

>>  (use-package-modules shells)
>>   (users (cons (user-account
>>                 (name "admin")
>>                 (comment "")
>>                 (group "users")
>>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>>                                         "audio" "video"))
>>                 (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
>>                 (home-directory "/home/admin"))
>>                %base-user-accounts))
>

> This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package
> belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.

Good Q. I have no idea. I guessed. I'm still new to all this too :-)

* Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default
@ 2017-07-05  8:30       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-07-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

> This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package
> belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.

You can use “guix package -s zsh” and then use recutils to match on the
“name” field and print the “location” field.  The location matches the
module name:

   gnu/packages/shells.scm –> (gnu packages shells)

> You can only tell Guix not to try to mount the disk on boot.  Use
> Tried doing something similar but getting errors on the read-string.
> First I got:
> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
> /etc/config.scm:23:24: /etc/config.scm:23:24: In procedure module-lookup:
> Unbound variable: read-string
>
> After searching in the guile manual I found a read-string in the module
> (sxml ssax input-parse), loaded that and now I get.

That’s not the right “read-string”.  You need to load (ice-9 rdelim).
The sxml stuff is for parsing XML.

--

@ 2017-07-05  9:15         ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-07-05  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Divan Santana; +Cc: help-guix, Fredrik Salomonsson

Divan Santana transcribed 0.9K bytes:

> Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > 2)
> >
> >> There is no module “(gnu packages zsh)”.  “zsh” is now in “(gnu packages
> >> shells)”.
> >

> >>  (use-package-modules shells)
> >>   (users (cons (user-account
> >>                 (name "admin")
> >>                 (comment "")
> >>                 (group "users")
> >>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
> >>                                         "audio" "video"))
> >>                 (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
> >>                 (home-directory "/home/admin"))
> >>                %base-user-accounts))
> >

> > This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package
> > belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.
>
> Good Q. I have no idea. I guessed. I'm still new to all this too :-)

If you keep a/multiple local checkouts of the guix repository,
grep can help, like

egrep -nr "define-public zsh" gnu/packages

Otherwise there is recutils, and also
1guix package --search
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default
@ 2017-07-06  4:58           ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2017-07-06  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Divan Santana, Fredrik Salomonsson, help-guix

Thanks guys for all your help.
Got everything working!
Can finally type normal on the laptop, hitting caps lock instead of ctrl
got pretty annoying. :)

Just need to figure out how to manually mount my nfs drive.

@ 2017-07-08 22:11         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-08 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix, Fredrik Salomonsson

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>> This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package
>> belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.
>
> You can use “guix package -s zsh” and then use recutils to match on the
> “name” field and print the “location” field.  The location matches the
> module name:
>
>    gnu/packages/shells.scm –> (gnu packages shells)

“guix package -A zsh” would also show the location in a concise way.

Ludo’.