unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Playing video in browser
@ 2020-06-04 15:36 excalamus--- via
From: excalamus--- via @ 2020-06-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I can't figure out how to play the videos on the Guix homepage using a browser from within Guix.

I have installed GuixSD in a VM with the XFCE desktop.  I have installed Epiphany, along with gstreamer andd ffmpeg.  When I navigate to http://guix.gnu.org/videos/, the videos won't play.

I have searched the mailing lists and the Internet in general.  The usual answers suggest gstreamer, ffmpeg, or non-free flash plugins for playing HTML5.  Clearly, the latter would not be supported by Guix.

What configuration is required to play videos in the browser?

* Re: Playing video in browser
@ 2020-06-04 15:59 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-06-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: excalamus, help-guix

You need to install a combination of

gst-libav
gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-ugly

depending on the video type you want to play in WebKitGTK-based
browsers.
If you don't know, install them all.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Playing video in browser
@ 2020-06-04 16:52   ` excalamus--- via
From: excalamus--- via @ 2020-06-04 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Help Guix

Jun 4, 2020, 11:59 by mail@ambrevar.xyz:

> You need to install a combination of
>
> gst-libav
> gst-plugins-bad
> gst-plugins-base
> gst-plugins-good
> gst-plugins-ugly
>
> depending on the video type you want to play in WebKitGTK-based
> browsers.
> If you don't know, install them all.

Thank you, one of the good/bad/ugly plugins covered it.

Is this something Guix would like documented somewhere besides the help mailing list?  Maybe included as part of WebKitGTK-based browsers, as a message after install, or as a cookbook recipe?

* Re: Playing video in browser
@ 2020-06-04 19:39     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-06-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: excalamus; +Cc: Help Guix

It's not very obvious what to document it since it applies to all
WebKitGTK.

It's part of the "general software knowledge".  For instance, if you
install an archiver like `atool', it's your reponsibility to install the
backends (unzip, p7zip, etc.) to support the various archive formats.
Where to document this?  I don't know, but it's unclear that Guix is the
place.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Playing video in browser
@ 2020-06-04 21:36       ` excalamus--- via
From: excalamus--- via @ 2020-06-04 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Help Guix

Jun 4, 2020, 15:39 by mail@ambrevar.xyz:

> It's not very obvious what to document it since it applies to all
> WebKitGTK.

One idea is to indicate the relationship between packages.  For example,

guix package -s gstreamer | less
+ Applications can take advantage of advances in codec and filter technology
+ transparently.  Developers can add new codecs and filters by writing a simple
+ plugin with a clean, generic interface.
+
+ This package provides the core library and elements.  <new>See gst-plugins-* for additional codecs, filters, and functionality.</new>

Another is to describe an end-user's perspective of the gst-plugins-*.  The description taken from GStreamer  focuses on licensing and is developer-centric.  It's unclear as a user that the plugins may solve my problem.  Maybe something like,

guix package -s gst-plugins-ugly | less
+ the developers consider to have good quality code but that might pose
+ distribution problems in some jurisdictions, e.g.  due to patent threats.

> It's part of the "general software knowledge".  For instance, if you
> install an archiver like `atool', it's your reponsibility to install the
> backends (unzip, p7zip, etc.) to support the various archive formats.
> Where to document this?  I don't know, but it's unclear that Guix is the
> place.

I follow you.  Some tools, like `atool`, make that responsibility clear in their documentation.  Unfortunately, GStreamer is not as clear.  That's an upstream issue.

Guix could help users by providing a recipe or a ready-to-use package.
Is the Guix Cookbook not an appropriate place for a tutorial on setting up a Guix System for general web viewing?  This seems within Guix's purview.

I couldn't find a webviewer through Guix which allowed me to view the Guix videos out-of-the-box.

I'm happy to help with any of these.

* Re: Where to document package relations (was: Playing video in browser)
@ 2020-06-05 20:53       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-06-05 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: excalamus, Help Guix

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> It's not very obvious what to document it since it applies to all WebKitGTK.
>
> It's part of the "general software knowledge".  For instance, if you install an archiver like `atool', it's your reponsibility to install the backends (unzip, p7zip, etc.) to support the various archive formats.  Where to document this?

Normally, in the package relation graph itself.

For instance, in Debian gstreamer1.0-libav and gstreamer1.0-plugins-good are _recommended_ by libwebkit2gtk-* packages.  From a user point of view, that means that when he mark epiphany-browser for installing in a package manager, such as aptitude(1), they are marked as well, but, unlike hard dependencies, can be unmarked.

The same applies to atool and its backends, by the way.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Playing video in browser
@ 2020-07-08 10:40         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-07-08 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)