unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Edouard Klein <edou@rdklein.fr>
To: Blake Shaw <blake@nonconstructivism.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix Home Entertainment SoC Media Server?
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 14:47:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi !

It depends on how easy and integrated you want your experience to be ;)

The raspberry pi is classic SoC to use for such a purpose, there are a
lot of software and guides that you can use and take inspiration from
for your project.

In particular, the Retro-pi project will let you play classic games on a
raspberry pi, and Kodi is a nice integrated media center distribution.

Sadly:
- the raspberry pi still uses some proprietary components that GNU Guix
can not take into account (yet ?)
- some features, especially games, are closed-source, so outside of the
scope of GNU Guix.

My advice would be to look at what people are doing on raspberry pies,
and replicate what you need.

From a purely function over form perspective, I think you can replicate
90% of the features of Kodi with VLC. It can do streaming, can read any
media format, and is globally awesome.

Also take a look at https://gitlab.com/guix-gaming-channels/games for
(sadly closed source, but what can you do ?) integrating video games in
your Guix setup.

Please post somewhere about what you do, this is an itch I intend to
scratch someday and I'll be happy to read about your efforts,

Happy hacking :)

Edouard.