unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Kenny Ballou <kb@devnulllabs.io>
To: Connor Clark <connor@psyleft.com>
Cc: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: system reconfigure: rename-file: invalid cross-device link
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 19:39:53 -0600	[thread overview]

Connecting back to the list.

On 2024-04-18 21:19 -04, Connor Clark wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I would like to say I'm having the same issue. My root filesystem is btrfs with
> a similar layout (subvolumes at /var, /home, etc), though I also have an ext4
> raid array of three other disks mounted at /srv.
>
> The problem started happening when I bumped my channel commit to
> 0f9f266542e611bee277b5e593072318942ed643, working fine on
> 16d2be641424815a1779119bb64bc6ba1be1161b. If we need to troubleshoot this
> further I can provide some logs.
>
> p.s. I'm not too familiar with mailing lists. If this goes straight to the
> individual who started the thread, sorry and please let me know.

The issue seems to stem from [[https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70165][this
bug]] with DBus.  I was able to work around it with some finagling.  I
"copied" some of the DBus files and rebooted.  I have another Guix
system I'll need to try this with and I can report back with some more
concrete steps.  Unfortunately, I have some deadlines I need to hit and
cannot be breaking things at the moment.

An alternative approach I was not able to get to work because I can't
quite figure out how to get bind mounts to work in Guix (even with the
[[https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/html_node/Setting-up-a-bind-mount.html][cookbook]]):
bind mount a TMPFS for the set of paths.  That is, create a TMPFS for
~/run~ and then bind mount it to ~/var/run~, or vise versa, if you
prefer.  To do this, you likely will need to rollback (downgrade) to the
working revision.  Configure the new mounts.  Reboot.  Upgrade to the
new revision (which has a new version of DBus). ... Profit!

Hope that helps.