unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* python-pip is broken after updates
@ 2020-05-24 15:55 znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-05-24 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I am using free vpn by protonvpn on GuixOS.
protonvpn installs own client written on python3 requiring pip3.
It works fine after installation under root.

But updates break it.

After I made under root

# guix pull && guix package -u
# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
# guix system delete-generations 1d
# guix package --delete-generations=1d
# guix gc

(I have tiny ssd and need to remove generations
Also I had troubles with locale and need to reconfigure after update)

This breaks work of pip3.
Running of protonvpn is breaking cause it does not find
some packages or python3 component.

Also I cannot reinstall protonvpn cause it does not find
python3 module.

Only installing python-pip package again and installing of protonvpn
again saves the situation.

Could you check it and make some advices?

* Re: python-pip is broken after updates
@ 2020-05-24 22:34 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-05-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

znavko@disroot.org wrote:
> I am using free vpn by protonvpn on GuixOS.  protonvpn installs own client written on python3 requiring pip3.  It works fine after installation under root.
>
> Could you … make some advices?

Guix aside, I definitely could advise you to stop using obscure ad-hoc software, that has to be run with superuser rights, when itʼs not necessary.  And in your case itʼs not.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: python-pip is broken after updates
@ 2020-05-25  6:11   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-05-25  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:34:18AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> znavko@disroot.org wrote:
> > I am using free vpn by protonvpn on GuixOS.  protonvpn installs own client written on python3 requiring pip3.  It works fine after installation under root.
> >
> > Could you … make some advices?
>
> Guix aside, I definitely could advise you to stop using obscure ad-hoc software, that has to be run with superuser rights, when itʼs not necessary.  And in your case itʼs not.

This is certainly not useful advice. It's not up to you to determine
which software is appropriate and acceptable for another user to run.

To the original question, when installing python software using
upstream's methods, it will embed a reference to the path of pip/python
used. Using Guix, unless you register that version as a GC root, it will
eventually be garbage collected and you'll have to re-install.

On a different note however, yesterday a new package was added to guix,
protonvpn-cli, which I'm guessing is the python program you're using. I
suggest updating your Guix installation and trying it out to see if it
works as expected.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: python-pip is broken after updates
@ 2020-05-25 15:46   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-05-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: help-guix

Yes, thank you for packaging protonvpn!

In Russia protonmail.com is blocked I did not know why, but
after I've discovered protonvpn I understood why.
The same is for tutanota mail.
We do have so ugly rulers that break our freedom
for saving their criminal authority just for trading of nature resources.

An advice about using protonvpn is not safe.
If the software is opensource programmers can check if it is safe or not.
So, I cannot concsent you right now.

@ 2020-05-26  1:00     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-05-26  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:34:18AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>> znavko@disroot.org wrote:
>>> protonvpn installs own client written on python3 requiring pip3.  It works fine after installation under root.
>>> Could you … make some advices?
>>
>> Guix aside, I definitely could advise you to stop using obscure ad-hoc software, that has to be run with superuser rights, when itʼs not necessary.  And in your case itʼs not.
>
> This is certainly not useful advice.

I have another experience.  Quite a few people found an idea, that many services can be easily (in fact, sometimes even _easier_) be used without installing any ad-hoc branded software, new to them.  (Welcome to 2020. ;-).

> It's not up to you to determine which software is appropriate and acceptable for another user to run.

How have your thought shifted from from ‘advise’ to ‘determine’, I wonder?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Avoiding ad-hoc provider-branded OpenVPN clients (was: python-pip is broken after updates)
@ 2020-05-26  1:08     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-05-26  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix