David Dashyan schreef op di 27-04-2021 om 20:03 [+0300]: > > Hello, Maxime! > > > No, it is not supposed to work! Only guix/build/... and > > gnu/build/utils/... (and maybe others I forgot) are supposed to be > > imported, so source-module-closure excludes other modules. The reason > > is that gnu/packages/*.scm are supposed to be changeable without > > causing any change in derivation hash (and therefore resulting in > > rebuilds). > Ah, great! I'm glad I got definitive answer to this question. But I > don't get the last sentence. Changeable when? You mean that by > including (gnu package ...) in inputs of a derivation change in > gnu/package/*scm files will cause change of derivation hash? If you mean: All package, services, etc ... derivations that include the (gnu packages ...) module (and its dependencies) would have a change in derivation hash, then yes. > But why it is a problem for service derivations? It guess for service derivations (FWIW, that's not an ‘official’ term, I think), this isn't much of a problem. I still recommend using (with-extensions (list guix) ...) or similar though (with the caveat that the 'guix' package isn't always the latest guix, so you may want to consider inferiors or something). > As I understand it won't cause > change in other package derivations hashes propagating down the graph. > Service derivation sits on the leaf of dependency graph. Or I missing > something? No, that's correct. > > > Some context to why am I doing it in the first place. I found this > > > out while I was implementing "guix-cloud-init" service. The service > > > to simplify guix deployment to digialocean, aws and others. > > > Cloud-init is widely used way of configuring cloud vm instances and > > > it works by providing metadata via mounted storage or link-local > > > address http endpoint. This includes ip addresses, devices, ssh keys > > > etc... So given you have a guix image with guix-cloud-init service > > > you can upload to your cloud and it will "just work". :) > > Do you know about "guix deploy"? > [Plenty of text] I'm not familiar with clouds that aren't aerosol consisting of a visible mass of minute liquid droplets, frozen crystals, or other particles suspended in the atmosphere of a planetary body or similar space. (Source: , accessed 2021) so I'm afraid I don't have much to say here, but your idea of skipping Debian seems better than is done currently! Greetings, Maxime