unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* docker
@ 2019-11-14 14:54 rndd
From: rndd @ 2019-11-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

how to install docker, run dockerd and use these in guix?

* Re: docker
@ 2019-11-14 16:58 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rndd; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 15:55, <rndd@tuta.io> wrote:

> how to install docker, run dockerd and use these in guix?

Are you using Guix on the top of a foreign distro?
Or are you using Guix System?

Do you experiment issue with "guix package -i docker"?

All the best,
simon

* Re: docker
@ 2019-11-14 17:01   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-11-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rndd; +Cc: Help Guix

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 17:58, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you experiment issue with "guix package -i docker"?

And with "guix package -i docker-cli"?

* Re: docker
@ 2019-11-16 18:18 ` Efraim Flashner
       [not found]   ` <Ltt3MzU--3-1@tuta.io>
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-11-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rndd; +Cc: Help Guix

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 03:54:13PM +0100, rndd@tuta.io wrote:
> how to install docker, run dockerd and use these in guix?

We have a docker service that runs dockerd
http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services

Other than that, you'll want the docker-cli package for the actual
'docker' command.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: docker
       [not found]   ` <Ltt3MzU--3-1@tuta.io>
@ 2019-11-17 19:17     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-11-17 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rndd; +Cc: help-guix

I'm not sure what nixos-option is, but everything should be documented
in the manual. For Guix System that'd be mostly here: http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/System-Configuration.html#System-Configuration

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 12:13:41PM +0100, rndd@tuta.io wrote:
> do you know where find all system options (like nixos-option in NixOS)?
>
> Nov 16, 2019, 21:18 by efraim@flashner.co.il:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 03:54:13PM +0100, rndd@tuta.io wrote:
> >
> >> how to install docker, run dockerd and use these in guix?
> >>

> > We have a docker service that runs dockerd
> > http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Miscellaneous-Services.html#Miscellaneous-Services
> >
> > Other than that, you'll want the docker-cli package for the actual
> > 'docker' command.
> >
> > --
> > Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
> > GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
> > Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* docker
@ 2020-07-10 10:17 Roy Lemmon
From: Roy Lemmon @ 2020-07-10 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I would like to run a docker application on my guix system. However I need
to have the docker daemon running. Do I simply add this to my config.scm
file e.g:

(use-modules (gnu) (docker) )

Thanks
Roy.

* Re: docker
@ 2020-07-10 12:09 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-07-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Lemmon; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Roy,

> I would like to run a docker application on my guix system. However I need
> to have the docker daemon running. Do I simply add this to my config.scm
> file e.g:
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (docker) )

No, this would load the (gnu) module and the non-existant (docker)
module.  If we had a (docker) module this still wouldn’t do what you
want, as it would only make code available.

Please take a look at the Guix manual.  In section “8.8.31 Miscellaneous
Services” there is a heading “Docker Service” (I found this by hitting
“i” for “index” in my Info reader, followed by “docker”).  It says this:

The ‘(gnu services docker)’ module provides the following services.

 -- Scheme Variable: docker-service-type

     This is the type of the service that runs Docker
     (https://www.docker.com), a daemon that can execute application
     bundles (sometimes referred to as “containers”) in isolated
     environments.

 -- Data Type: docker-configuration
     This is the data type representing the configuration of Docker and
     Containerd.

     ‘package’ (default: ‘docker’)
          The Docker package to use.

     ‘containerd’ (default: CONTAINERD)
          The Containerd package to use.

     ‘proxy’ (default DOCKER-LIBNETWORK-CMD-PROXY)
          The Docker user-land networking proxy package to use.

     ‘enable-proxy?’ (default ‘#f’)
          Enable or disable the use of the Docker user-land networking
          proxy.

     ‘debug?’ (default ‘#f’)
          Enable or disable debug output.

This is from a section on system services, so you’ll need to add
something like this to your configuration file:

(use-modules (gnu services docker))
…
(operating-system
  …
  (services (cons* (service …)
                   (service …)
                   …
                   (service docker-service-type
                            (docker-configuration
                              (debug? #t)))
                   …))
  …)

If you don’t need any extra configuration “(service
docker-service-type)” should be sufficient.

--
Ricardo