unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Writing Indian Languages on GNU/Linux
@ 2020-11-05 14:53 Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-11-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
I am planning to start translating Guix manuals. I will first start with
the cookbook, as its a smaller version, and can be translated faster I
think, but If you suggest me to translate guix manual first, I will do so.

I don't have much experience in writing Devnagari or Indian languages on
GNU/Linux. I used to work with Google Input tools, which has some phonetic
writing. If I type "Aniket" It would be "अनिकेत in my language". So it was
phonetic, is there anything like this on GNU/Linux? I have heard of iBUS
but haven't used it yet. So that I won't have to learn a new keymap.

Aniket.

* Re: Writing Indian Languages on GNU/Linux
@ 2020-11-05 15:00 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2020-11-05 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

() Aniket Patil <aniket112.patil@gmail.com>
() Thu, 5 Nov 2020 20:23:24 +0530

   I don't have much experience in writing Devnagari or Indian
   languages on GNU/Linux. I used to work with Google Input
   tools, which has some phonetic writing. If I type "Aniket" It
   would be "अनिकेत in my language". So it was phonetic, is there
   anything like this on GNU/Linux? I have heard of iBUS but
   haven't used it yet. So that I won't have to learn a new
   keymap.

Emacs has three input methods that i uesd to succesfullly type:
"aniket" and see "अनिकेत्".  They were:

 devanagari-aiba
 devanagari-itrans
 devanagari-kyoto-harvard

I don't know the difference between them, but maybe if you ask
on help-gnu-emacs AT gnu DOT org, there will be more info.

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Writing Indian Languages on GNU/Linux
@ 2020-11-05 18:13 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-11-05 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aniket Patil, help-guix