unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to call a local function from a mcron job?
@ 2020-11-29 23:58 EuAndreh
From: EuAndreh @ 2020-11-29 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix!

I wrote a Guile function that works like a script that take no arguments
and interacts with the filesystem, something like:

  (define (my-fn)
    ...)

It is a wrapper over other functions defined in the same file, and calls
them in the right order.

Then I wanted to make this function run as a mcron job, and I tried:

  (define my-fn-job
    #(job "* * * * *"
          my-fn))

But that doesn't work. At reconfigure time, Guix complains about not
knowing the variable 'my-fn':

  Unbound variable: my-fn

I tried wrapping it in a '(with-imported-modules ...)' call, but the
code isn't in a module, but in the same file.

I guess that putting all my code from 'my-fn' and all the functions it
calls inlined in a lambda in the job definition would solve it, but it
feels wrong to me.

Is there a way to reference it from the job, without embedding all the
scheme code in the job definition?

* Re: How to call a local function from a mcron job?
@ 2020-12-20 22:19 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-12-20 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EuAndreh; +Cc: help-guix

Heyo EuAndreh!

Perhaps you could put your scheme function into a file in the same
directory as your config.scm.  Call said file "my-fn.scm" with the
content:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define-module (my-fn)
    #:export (my-fn))

(define (my-fn)
   ...)
#+END_SRC

Then the top of your config.scm should look like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(add-to-load-path (dirname (current-filename)))

(use-modules
(gnu)
(guix)
(my-fn)
...)
#+END_SRC

That should solve your issue.  :)

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

* Re: How to call a local function from a mcron job?
@ 2020-12-22 23:44   ` EuAndreh via
From: EuAndreh via @ 2020-12-22 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

That makes sense. I'll try it later and report back.

Thanks!