unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* What happened to gfortran-toolchain?
@ 2022-01-06 16:39 Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2022-01-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I finally got around to running `guix pull` and `guix package -u` on my
system now that the holidays are over, and I got a notification that
the gfortran-toolchain package had been removed. Sure enough, running
`guix package -s gfortran-toolchain` and even `guix package -s gfortran`
return no results at all.

After a bit of digging, I managed to track down the gfortran-toolchain
package definition to gnu/packages/commencement.scm, where it looks
perfectly normal to me.

```
(define-public gfortran-toolchain
  (package (inherit (make-gcc-toolchain gfortran))
    (synopsis "Complete GCC tool chain for Fortran development")
    (description "This package provides a complete GCC tool chain for
Fortran development to be installed in user profiles.  This includes
gfortran, as well as libc (headers and binaries, plus debugging symbols
in the @code{debug} output), and binutils.")))
```

However, when I follow its reference to the
gfortran package over to gnu/packages/gcc.scm, I see this:

```
(define-public gfortran
  (hidden-package
   (custom-gcc gcc
               "gfortran" '("fortran")
               %generic-search-paths)))
```

Could this hidden-package form be the culprit here? Was hiding gfortran
an intentional change to Guix System, or was this an accident? If the
former, what is the current recommended approach for Fortran programming
on Guix?

Thanks,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

* Re: What happened to gfortran-toolchain?
@ 2022-01-06 17:43 ` Remco
From: Remco @ 2022-01-06 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Johnson; +Cc: help-guix

> Could this hidden-package form be the culprit here? Was hiding gfortran
> an intentional change to Guix System, or was this an accident? If the
> former, what is the current recommended approach for Fortran programming
> on Guix?

Just came across this commit which was made about an hour before your
message:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=af1b5de6d8a54439ef3f7e1f5fe9a8e7d109972d

Does that fix the problem for you?

Cheers,
Remco

* Re: What happened to gfortran-toolchain?
@ 2022-01-10 16:14   ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2022-01-10 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Remco,

  Yes. That appears to have fixed the problem. I pulled and was then
able to once again reinstall gfortran-toolchain.

Cheers,
  Gary