unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Enviroment for setting up Guix
@ 2020-04-14 15:07 Stefan Woerner via
From: Stefan Woerner via @ 2020-04-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hello.

As I just started with Linux, I have a silly question.
Is there a documentation about the different envirements?
Silly me has not even heard of Enlightenment, awesome, i3 or ratpoison before.
I searched the manuals and the blog, am i just to blind or to dumb to find something?

Best regards, Stefan
E-Mail: stefan.woerner@pm.me

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - stefan.woerner@protonmail.com - 0x81B8D35C.asc --]

* Re: Enviroment for setting up Guix
@ 2020-04-15  0:17 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-04-15  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Woerner via; +Cc: Stefan Woerner

To be honest, if you are just starting using GNU/Linux, then you might
be better off using the default desktop environments: gnome, KDE,
Xfce...Those are targeted at new users.  Everything just works.  If you
put in a DVD in gnome, then gnome will start a DVD player for you.  It
will tell you how much battery you have left, etc.

Window managers (sway, awesome, i3, ratpoison, etc) target advanced
users.  Most window managers by default will not tell you if your
battery in your laptop is soo low that you are about to be forcibly
shut off.  Window managers will not have a normal desktop where you can
click on files and open them.  Window managers will not aid you in
connecting to the internet.  You are expected to set that up
yourself. etc.   Using window managers is going to have you banging
your desk inside 5 minutes and you'll be asking yourself, "Why doesn't
this just work?

If you are still really interested in window managers, then the
arch wiki will probably come in handy: https://wiki.archlinux.org/ I use
the arch wiki whenever I am trying to use a new bit of software that I
am unfamiliar.  The arch wiki is the best resource I have found when
trying to get something to work.

All that aside, if you are still interested in window managers, I would
recommend sway.  It uses Wayland (not X) by default, so it is fairly
future proof.  If you use sway though, you may have to disable the gdm
service type.  I think my documentation below should be fairly
comprehensive.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-01/msg00908.html

--
Joshua Branson