unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Re: Disable user profiles?
@ 2020-10-12 16:55 ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-10-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton, help-guix

Hello Sergiu,

Le lundi 12 octobre 2020 à 21:54 +0300, Alexandru-Sergiu Marton a
écrit :
> Is there any way to disable the use of the Guix package manager for
> users other than root on a Guix System?

Maybe you could make the guix daemon socket only available to root. For
this see the parameter --listen=endpoint of guix daemon
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix_002ddaemon.html

I never did something like that, so I can't be sure it will work. I
still hope it helps you.

divoplade

* Disable user profiles?
@ 2020-10-12 18:54 Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-10-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Is there any way to disable the use of the Guix package manager for
users other than root on a Guix System? I'm interested in creating a
public server (in the manner of tilde.club), and the limitations of such
a thing push me to not allow every user to install whatever they
want. I'd like to have only the packages specified in the system config
available for everyone.

Cheers,
Sergiu

* Re: Disable user profiles?
@ 2020-10-13 13:42   ` Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton @ 2020-10-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade; +Cc: help-guix

Hello divoplade,

divoplade <d@divoplade.fr> writes:

> Maybe you could make the guix daemon socket only available to root. For
> this see the parameter --listen=endpoint of guix daemon
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix_002ddaemon.html
>
> I never did something like that, so I can't be sure it will work. I
> still hope it helps you.

Thank you so much for your advice! Setting the permissions for the
daemon socket such that only root can read and write to it has solved my
problem.

Cheers,
Sergiu