unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
To: "Daniel Meißner" <daniel.meissner-i4k@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Printer configuration failed due to missing filters
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 14:18:39 +0100	[thread overview]

Daniel!

Daniel Meißner 写道:
>> Printer 'EPSON-...' requires the
>> '/gnu/store/...-cups-2.3.3/lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper',
>> program but it is not currently installed. Please install it
>> before
>> using this printer.

Interesting here is that it's looking in …-cups-2.3.3 where I
believe it should look in …-cups-server-bin instead.  The former
is merely the upstream CUPS package, whilst the latter is a union
of CUPS with its extensions (drivers).

Can you confirm that the file printed by

  $ ps auxwww | grep -o '/gnu/store/[^ ]*cups-files.conf'

contains

  DataDir /gnu/store/…-cups-server-bin/share/cups
  ServerBin /gnu/store/…-cups-server-bin/lib/cups

?

You should find lib/cups/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper under this
ServerBin.

> Looking in the system profile I cannot find it: ‘find
> /run/current-system/profile -name "epson-escpr-wrapper"’ shows
> no
> results.  There is also no cups directory under
> /run/current-system/profile/lib.  Am I missing something?

Just that there's no reason for epson-escpr-wrapper to be anywhere
in /run/current-system in the first place.  It should be in the
union directory I mentioned above, and CUPS should find it there.

I don't currently have access to an Epson printer, but I'll try to
add one anyway.

See if you can divine any useful chunks from the puddle of vomit
that CUPS produces when configured with:

  (cups-configuration
    …
    (log-level 'debug2)
    …)

There's also (access-log-level 'all) but it's probably not
relevant here.

Kind regards,

T G-R