unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* /etc/config.scm issues after modifying
@ 2024-08-25  2:11 Patrick Pippen
From: Patrick Pippen @ 2024-08-25  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

https://paste.debian.net/1327458

Getting this error: /etc/config.scm:23:0 :  error: %desktop-services:  invalid field specifier

I made these modifications trying to 1) not use substitutes and compile from source and add bspwm so that I can login into it via the default login manager.

Is this not really correct way to do this or am I going about it the wrong way?
Sent from my iPhone

* Re: /etc/config.scm issues after modifying
@ 2024-08-25  2:34 ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-08-25  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Pippen; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Pippen <plpippen4@gmail.com> writes:

> https://paste.debian.net/1327458
>
> Getting this error: /etc/config.scm:23:0 :  error:
> %desktop-services:  invalid field specifier
>
> I made these modifications trying to 1) not use substitutes and
> compile from source and add bspwm so that I can login into it
> via the default login manager.
>
> Is this not really correct way to do this or am I going about it
> the wrong way?

You have three errors in your configuration, all related.  The
first is that your parens are unbalanced, which causes
%desktop-services to end up at the wrong level of nesting.  This
is what causes the error you get, because you’re initializing the
fields of operating-system, and %desktop-services is not a valid
specification of a field name and value.

The second is that %my-services is a list of services, but you
wrap it in a second list on line 45.  The third is that you have
%desktop-services in your service list on line 53, but are also
including a modified version of %desktop-services.  This would
cause an error about duplicate services.

You want to fix the parens and remove the (service %my-services)
from line 45, and replace %desktop-services with %my-services on
line 53.  Your services should look like this:

    (services
     (append
      (list
       (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
       (service cups-service-type)
       (set-xorg-configuration
        (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
      ;; This is the list of services we are appending to.
      %my-services))

You may have other paren-balancing issues in there.  If you’re
using an editor with decent Lisp support, the simplest way to fix
this is to reindent the whole file (in Emacs: C-x h C-M=\) and
eyeball it.  Any issues will be reasonably evident in the
indentation of each field.

Best,

  — Ian