unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to back out of an root emacs install
@ 2016-01-28  4:06 myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-01-28  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix users...

I installed guixSD on a headless server by cloning bare-bones.scm into
/etc/config.scm. Then I tried typing ...

emacs

... and ... duh ... no dice.

FWIW, I was expecting emacs to be in %base-packages.

Anyway... next I  did ...

  guix -i emacs

... as root.

Now I want to edit /etc/config.scm and add emacs and maybe other cool
stuff I just read about in the guix INFO.

Can I do that from my root emacs install?

Or do I have to uninstall emacs and use zile to edit config.scm?

Or is there another way, grasshopper?

Also, is the keymap that I hacked and stored in /root safe, or might it
disappear if I roll back or uninstall?

Thanks! - george

* Re: How to back out of an root emacs install
@ 2016-01-28 14:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: myglc2; +Cc: help-guix

myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> skribis:

> Now I want to edit /etc/config.scm and add emacs and maybe other cool
> stuff I just read about in the guix INFO.
>
> Can I do that from my root emacs install?

Sure.

> Or do I have to uninstall emacs and use zile to edit config.scm?

No.

> Or is there another way, grasshopper?
>
> Also, is the keymap that I hacked and stored in /root safe, or might it
> disappear if I roll back or uninstall?

It’s safe!  User home directories are not touched by GuixSD.

HTH,  :-)
Ludo’.

* Re: How to back out of an root emacs install
@ 2016-01-29  2:56   ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-01-29  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> myglc2 <myglc2@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Now I want to edit /etc/config.scm and add emacs and maybe other cool
>> stuff I just read about in the guix INFO.
>>
>> Can I do that from my root emacs install?
>
> Sure.
>
>> Or do I have to uninstall emacs and use zile to edit config.scm?
>
> No.
>
>> Or is there another way, grasshopper?
>>
>> Also, is the keymap that I hacked and stored in /root safe, or might it
>> disappear if I roll back or uninstall?
>
> It’s safe!  User home directories are not touched by GuixSD.
>
> HTH,  :-)
> Ludo’.

OK, I tried this today and it worked great. thank you! Great stuff!