unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / Atom feed
* (no subject)
@ 2020-05-20  0:31 Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20  3:03 ` Update Xonsh Edison Ibáñez
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Edison Ibáñez @ 2020-05-20  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

   Regards,

   I currently use xonsh as my user's shell, but the default version in
   GuixSD is 0.6.2 and the latest available is 0.9.18.

   I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package but I
   cannot set this version as my user's default shell.

   There is a way to update xonsh in the config.scm file to the latest
   available version.

   Thank you

   – Edison Ibáñez
   One Emacs to rule them all

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Update Xonsh
  2020-05-20  0:31 Edison Ibáñez
@ 2020-05-20  3:03 ` Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20  5:45 ` Carlo Zancanaro
  2020-05-24 16:41 ` Josh Marshall
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Edison Ibáñez @ 2020-05-20  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

sorry i forgot to put the subject of this message

El martes 19 de mayo del 2020 a las 1931 horas, Edison Ibáñez 
escribió:

>    Regards,
>
>    I currently use xonsh as my user's shell, but the default 
>    version in
>    GuixSD is 0.6.2 and the latest available is 0.9.18.
>
>    I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package 
>    but I
>    cannot set this version as my user's default shell.
>
>    There is a way to update xonsh in the config.scm file to the 
>    latest
>    available version.
>
>    Thank you
>
>    – Edison Ibáñez
>    One Emacs to rule them all


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Update Xonsh
  2020-05-20  0:31 Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20  3:03 ` Update Xonsh Edison Ibáñez
@ 2020-05-20  5:45 ` Carlo Zancanaro
  2020-05-20 19:34   ` Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-24 16:41 ` Josh Marshall
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Carlo Zancanaro @ 2020-05-20  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edison Ibáñez; +Cc: help-guix

Hey Edison,

One easy way to do this is to just put your package definition in 
config.scm, above your operating system definition. I haven't 
tried it with a shell, but the basic idea would be to have 
something like this:

(define-public xonsh
  ... your package definition ...)

(operating-system
  ... other bits ...
  (users (cons (user-account
                ... other bits ...
                (shell (file-append xonsh "/bin/xonsh")))
               %base-user-accounts))
  ... other bits ...)

Another way to do it would be to submit a patch updating xonsh to 
be included in Guix, which would also benefit all other Guix 
users.

Carlo

On Wed, May 20 2020, Edison Ibáñez wrote:
>    Regards,
>
>    I currently use xonsh as my user's shell, but the default 
>    version in
>    GuixSD is 0.6.2 and the latest available is 0.9.18.
>
>    I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package 
>    but I
>    cannot set this version as my user's default shell.
>
>    There is a way to update xonsh in the config.scm file to the 
>    latest
>    available version.
>
>    Thank you
>
>    – Edison Ibáñez
>    One Emacs to rule them all



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Update Xonsh
  2020-05-20  5:45 ` Carlo Zancanaro
@ 2020-05-20 19:34   ` Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20 20:17     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Edison Ibáñez @ 2020-05-20 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Zancanaro; +Cc: help-guix


Thanks for the help, I just saw that they updated xonsh to the 
latest version

El miércoles 20 de mayo del 2020 a las 0045 horas, Carlo Zancanaro 
escribió:

> Hey Edison,
>
> One easy way to do this is to just put your package definition 
> in
> config.scm, above your operating system definition. I haven't
> tried it with a shell, but the basic idea would be to have 
> something
> like this:
>
> (define-public xonsh
>  ... your package definition ...)
>
> (operating-system
>  ... other bits ...
>  (users (cons (user-account
>                ... other bits ...
>                (shell (file-append xonsh "/bin/xonsh")))
>               %base-user-accounts))
>  ... other bits ...)
>
> Another way to do it would be to submit a patch updating xonsh 
> to be
> included in Guix, which would also benefit all other Guix users.
>
> Carlo
>
> On Wed, May 20 2020, Edison Ibáñez wrote:
>>    Regards,
>>
>>    I currently use xonsh as my user's shell, but the default
>> version in
>>    GuixSD is 0.6.2 and the latest available is 0.9.18.
>>
>>    I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package
>> but I
>>    cannot set this version as my user's default shell.
>>
>>    There is a way to update xonsh in the config.scm file to the
>> latest
>>    available version.
>>
>>    Thank you
>>
>>    – Edison Ibáñez
>>    One Emacs to rule them all


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Update Xonsh
  2020-05-20 19:34   ` Edison Ibáñez
@ 2020-05-20 20:17     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
  2020-05-21 20:39       ` Edison Ibáñez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-05-20 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edison Ibáñez; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 634 bytes --]

Edison,

Edison Ibáñez 写道:
> Thanks for the help, I just saw that they updated xonsh to the 
> latest
> version

Hi, they here :-)

> I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package but 
> I
> cannot set this version as my user's default shell.

I do a quick mail search before updating most packages.  It looks 
like yours arrived just too late.  Feel free to compare my bump[0] 
against yours & let me know if there are any interesting 
differences between them!

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: 
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=72faca2c50d1e8a1a39ee334a24333fe09352a6c

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 227 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Update Xonsh
  2020-05-20 20:17     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
@ 2020-05-21 20:39       ` Edison Ibáñez
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Edison Ibáñez @ 2020-05-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix


Thanks Tobias,

The only part that I would change is in the "inputs" to add 
python-prompt-toolkit since it will add more complete 
functionality  when presenting predictions or suggestions 
something similar to what fish shell and zsh do.

(inputs
     `(("python-ply" ,python-ply)
       ("python-prompt-toolkit@2.0.7" ,python-prompt-toolkit)))

regards

El miércoles 20 de mayo del 2020 a las 1517 horas, Tobias 
Geerinckx-Rice escribió:

> Edison,
>
> Edison Ibáñez 写道:
>> Thanks for the help, I just saw that they updated xonsh to the
>> latest
>> version
>
> Hi, they here :-)
>
>> I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package 
>> but I
>> cannot set this version as my user's default shell.
>
> I do a quick mail search before updating most packages.  It 
> looks like
> yours arrived just too late.  Feel free to compare my bump[0] 
> against
> yours & let me know if there are any interesting differences 
> between
> them!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R
>
> [0]:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=72faca2c50d1e8a1a39ee334a24333fe09352a6c


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re:
  2020-05-20  0:31 Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20  3:03 ` Update Xonsh Edison Ibáñez
  2020-05-20  5:45 ` Carlo Zancanaro
@ 2020-05-24 16:41 ` Josh Marshall
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-05-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edison Ibáñez; +Cc: help-guix

I think the standard advice is to submit a patch to update the version
of xonsh, then use profiles to run the version desired.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM Edison Ibáñez <arkhan@disroot.org> wrote:
>
>    Regards,
>
>    I currently use xonsh as my user's shell, but the default version in
>    GuixSD is 0.6.2 and the latest available is 0.9.18.
>
>    I wrote a file to install the latest version of this package but I
>    cannot set this version as my user's default shell.
>
>    There is a way to update xonsh in the config.scm file to the latest
>    available version.
>
>    Thank you
>
>    – Edison Ibáñez
>    One Emacs to rule them all


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-05-20  0:31 Edison Ibáñez
2020-05-20  3:03 ` Update Xonsh Edison Ibáñez
2020-05-20  5:45 ` Carlo Zancanaro
2020-05-20 19:34   ` Edison Ibáñez
2020-05-20 20:17     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
2020-05-21 20:39       ` Edison Ibáñez
2020-05-24 16:41 ` Josh Marshall

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git