unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Guix System on Libreboot Laptops
@ 2020-12-25 15:53 julia.galaman--- via
  2020-12-25 21:59 ` Joshua Branson via
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: julia.galaman--- via @ 2020-12-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Mailing List

Hello,

Does anybody here have experience with Guix System on librebooted ThinkPads?

I have a T400 with Libreboot and I want to install the system on it, but the installer does not load up properly, leading to a kernel panic. (Or sometimes there's just the error message and then it freezes.) Here's the message:

"error: USB Mass Storage stalled.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.

Press any key to continue..."

I recently got an X200T that's not librebooted (it's going to be sooner or later) and the installer works on it just fine, so it's unlikely to be about the pendrive or the image. I also tried Trisquel on the T400 and it worked, so it cannot be about nonfree firmware. I honestly have no idea what it is. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

Oh, and I'm using the installer from the "stable" section, if that makes any difference.

Anyway,
Looking forward to any help I can get,
Thanks in advance!

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix System on Libreboot Laptops
  2020-12-25 15:53 Guix System on Libreboot Laptops julia.galaman--- via
@ 2020-12-25 21:59 ` Joshua Branson via
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Joshua Branson via @ 2020-12-25 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julia.galaman--- via


YES!  I do have experience with this!  I have a T400.

After you install libreboot (with a grub payload), turn on your T400.
When you get to the libreboot grub payload, then insert your usb stick
with guix on it.  There are several options to choose to boot.  I think
that you have to choose the "external media" boot option...something
like that.

Then it should boot into the guix installer.

For whatever reason, I could only get guix to work on libreboot with 1 /
ext4 partition.  Any other option install guix, but I could not boot
into guix after it was installed. 

Thanks,

Joshua

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus
  https://gnucode.me
  https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
  https://propernaming.org
  "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help

enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix System on Libreboot Laptops
       [not found] <mailman.10686.1608911609.19112.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2020-12-25 22:16 ` jgart
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: jgart @ 2020-12-25 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Have you seen Raghav's guide?

https://flossmanuals.net/pub/guix-system-and-libreboot.pdf
https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot/src/master/docs/gnulinux/guix_system.md

I hope that helps.

December 25, 2020 10:53 AM, help-guix-request@gnu.org wrote:

> Send Help-Guix mailing list submissions to
> help-guix@gnu.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-guix
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> help-guix-request@gnu.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> help-guix-owner@gnu.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Help-Guix digest..."
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
> 1. Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's
> desktop? (Bonface M. K.)
> 2. Re: Full Disk Encryption (sullentrapdoor)
> 3. Re: help with copy-build-system (Cameron)
> 4. Re: Full Disk Encryption (Martin Flack)
> 5. Re: Full Disk Encryption (Joshua Branson)
> 6. Guix System on Libreboot Laptops (julia.galaman@tutanota.com)
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:43:52 +0300
> From: "Bonface M. K." <bonfacemunyoki@gmail.com>
> To: Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
> Cc: help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's
> desktop?
> Message-ID: <86v9cr5cbr.fsf@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
> writes:
> 
> [...]
> 
>>> The variables defined in the
>>> <my-profile>/etc/profile set the correct paths wrt
>>> your actual profile...
>> 
>> Have you installed gtk+ in your profile? This
>> package is the one defining search-path
>> GUIX_GTK3_PATH.
> 
> Unfortunately nope. I don't think I can be of any
> help in this case. Perhaps someone else can chime
> in ...
> 
>> (When installing gtk+ in my environment/profile, I
>> also get GUIX_GTK3_PATH defined. gtk+ propagates
>> atk, which propagates glib, which defines
>> search-path XDG_DATA_DIR - which is why
>> XDG_DATA_DIR is also defined in the etc/profile.)
> 
> --
> Bonface M. K. <https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com>
> Humble GNU Emacs User / Bearer of scheme-y parens
> Curator: <https://upbookclub.com> / Twitter: @BonfaceKilz
> GPG Key: D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: signature.asc
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 869 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/attachments/20201224/6d0962b6/attachment.sig>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 14:41:45 -0500
> From: sullentrapdoor <sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc>
> To: help-guix@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Full Disk Encryption
> Message-ID: <a9071b3e-91b8-769e-57f1-aa502a362769@airmail.cc>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
> 
> Thank you Joshua!
> 
> I appreciate you tracking down the commit (and committer). Searching
> Mikhail Tsykalov I did not find any way to give him a tip, but I did
> find a relevant issue that he published.
> 
>> Guix System in current state can't boot from lvm partition because grub can't find
> 
> kernel and initrd. This also applies to systems where /gnu/store is on
> lvm partition. Grub has lvm support in the form of "lvm" module, but it
> isn't loaded currently. Making grub config generator emit "insmod lvm"
> before grub starts accessing stuff on /gnu/store (so immediately after
> initial commit) will fix this.
> 
> https://issues.guix.info/44877
> 
> I am very new to Guix and Scheme so I am not sure how the aforementioned
> fixed can be implemented.
> 
> On 12/22/20 6:21 PM, Joshua Branson wrote:
> 
>> Hey sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc!
>> 
>> Thanks for sharing that LVM support was added to guix! I had not heard
>> about that! That's awesome! And thanks Mikhail Tsykalov for committing
>> it! I'm pretty sure with a name like Mikhail, you have to be a genius.
>> Am I right?
>> 
>> For the commit message, it looks like LVM support was added on
>> 11/25/2020. So like, really recently. It also looks like there has
>> only been one commit: The commit to package LVM, which includes the
>> comment that guix currently doesn't support root-on-LVM.
>> 
>> My intuition tells me that currently guix does not support /root on
>> LVM. I suppose it's just a little difficult to get that support set up
>> at the moment. But you could always give Mikhail a financial tip to add
>> LVM /root support! I'll chip in $5 toward this goal if you do! Anyone
>> else that wants this support, feel free to respond with however much you
>> would donate for this support.
>> 
>> Man this is super cool news! I've really wanted to play around with LVM
>> for quite some time now!
>> 
>> --
>> Joshua Branson
>> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
>> https://gnucode.me
>> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
>> https://propernaming.org
>> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
>> 
>> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 12:00:07 -0600
> From: Cameron <cam@tindall.space>
> To: "Julien Lepiller" <julien@lepiller.eu>, help-guix@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: help with copy-build-system
> Message-ID: <a8aa58e1-0928-4f32-908f-d079c2720942@www.fastmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8
> 
> Thank you Julien, This was indeed the problem!
> 
> Many apologies to everyone for the double-post as well.
> 
> -Cam
> 
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020, at 6:07 AM, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> 
>> I don't think this is related to the copy-build-system, because it doesn't change the unpack phase.
>> Whathappens here is that guix expects the content of the tarball to be in a subdirectory, which is
>> not the case here. In the source definition, you should use url-fetch/tarbomb instead of url-fetch.
>> 
>> Le 23 décembre 2020 18:23:11 GMT-05:00, Cameron <cam@tindall.space> a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>> 
>>> I am new to Guix but it seems to be the perfect tools for running a small cluster of servers that I
>>> need to administer. The one thing that so far is holding me back from doing so is the absence of a
>>> package for Caddy (https://caddyserver.com) which this cluster relies on heavily. I hope in the
>>> future to package it properly, but it has a number of golang dependencies that are not themselves
>>> even packaged, and I am far from an expert on building Go software -- it seems doable but it would
>>> be a relatively big undertaking.
>>> 
>>> Instead, I thought I could create a private package with copy-build-system and simply install the
>>> pre-built binaries that the Caddy project provides. This is the caddy-package.scm that I have come
>>> up with:
>> 
>> (use-modules (guix)
>> (guix build-system copy)
>> (guix build utils)
>> (guix licenses))
>> 
>> (package
>> (name "caddy")
>> 
>> (version "2.2.1")
>> 
>> (source
>> (origin
>> (method url-fetch)
>> (uri (string-append "https://github.com/caddyserver/caddy/releases/download" version "/caddy_"
>> version "_linux_amd64.tar.gz"))
>> (sha256
>> (base32
>> "1va2h8hpxcby9rny7px1y2xks79rxb4svnf9mrdrlc5xn0s04dsx"))))
>> 
>> (build-system copy-build-system)
>> 
>> (arguments
>> '(#:install-plan '(("caddy" "bin/caddy"))))
>> 
>> (synopsis "This is a *BAD* Caddy package. It just pulls the already-built binary from Github,
>> rather than building from source.")
>> (description "See https://caddyserver.com")
>> (home-page "https://caddyserver.com")
>> (license asl2.0))
>>> When I build this file with `guix build -f caddy-package.scm -K', it fails with this rather
>>> mysterious (to me) error during the unpack phase:
>> 
>> starting phase `unpack'
>> LICENSE
>> README.md
>> caddy
>> Backtrace:
>> 8 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/fa16h805lxm1fmyhdmnwd09cpd7…")
>> In ice-9/eval.scm:
>> 191:35 7 (_ #f)
>> In guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
>> 838:2 6 (gnu-build #:source _ #:outputs _ #:inputs _ #:phases . #)
>> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> 1736:10 5 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _ # _)
>> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>> 857:16 4 (every1 #<procedure 7ffff634c0a0 at guix/build/gnu-bui…> …)
>> In guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
>> 847:30 3 (_ _)
>> 164:15 2 (unpack #:source _)
>> 65:2 1 (first-subdirectory _)
>> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> 1669:16 0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>> 
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:1669:16: In procedure raise-exception:
>> Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" ())'.
>> note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-caddy-2.2.1.drv-20'
>> builder for `/gnu/store/p65q2ndw8hcpiq2x62jb9mxv6xa88kkn-caddy-2.2.1.drv' failed with exit code 1
>> build of /gnu/store/p65q2ndw8hcpiq2x62jb9mxv6xa88kkn-caddy-2.2.1.drv failed
>> View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/p6/5q2ndw8hcpiq2x62jb9mxv6xa88kkn-caddy-2.2.1.drv.bz2'.
>> guix build: error: build of `/gnu/store/p65q2ndw8hcpiq2x62jb9mxv6xa88kkn-caddy-2.2.1.drv' failed
>>> Would anyone be able to give me any advice here? This seems to comport with the Reference Manual
>>> blurb (https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#index-copy_002dbuild_002dsystem) about
>>> copy-build-system and also appears similar to several official packages using copy-build-system
>>> (e.g. gcide, vim-neocomplete, neverball) that I looked to as examples. Clearly though, there is
>>> some nuance that I am missing.
>>> 
>>> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
>>> 
>>> -Cam Tindall
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 16:03:37 -0700
> From: Martin Flack <martin.flack@gmail.com>
> To: sullentrapdoor <sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc>
> Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Full Disk Encryption
> Message-ID:
> <CALNvAbcQ0nptNggH6Xo-5pTMDRtnpCgT7iuXZqxwamC3Z97M1A@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> I would also be willing to tip for this! Someone do let us know if that's
> possible.
> 
> Martin
> 
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 3:44 PM sullentrapdoor <sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc>
> wrote:
> 
>> Thank you Joshua!
>> 
>> I appreciate you tracking down the commit (and committer). Searching
>> Mikhail Tsykalov I did not find any way to give him a tip, but I did
>> find a relevant issue that he published.
>> 
>> Guix System in current state can't boot from lvm partition because grub
>> can't find
>> kernel and initrd. This also applies to systems where /gnu/store is on
>> lvm partition. Grub has lvm support in the form of "lvm" module, but it
>> isn't loaded currently. Making grub config generator emit "insmod lvm"
>> before grub starts accessing stuff on /gnu/store (so immediately after
>> initial commit) will fix this.
>> 
>> https://issues.guix.info/44877
>> 
>> I am very new to Guix and Scheme so I am not sure how the aforementioned
>> fixed can be implemented.
>> 
>> On 12/22/20 6:21 PM, Joshua Branson wrote:
>> Hey sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc!
>> 
>> Thanks for sharing that LVM support was added to guix! I had not heard
>> about that! That's awesome! And thanks Mikhail Tsykalov for committing
>> it! I'm pretty sure with a name like Mikhail, you have to be a genius.
>> Am I right?
>> 
>> For the commit message, it looks like LVM support was added on
>> 11/25/2020. So like, really recently. It also looks like there has
>> only been one commit: The commit to package LVM, which includes the
>> comment that guix currently doesn't support root-on-LVM.
>> 
>> My intuition tells me that currently guix does not support /root on
>> LVM. I suppose it's just a little difficult to get that support set up
>> at the moment. But you could always give Mikhail a financial tip to add
>> LVM /root support! I'll chip in $5 toward this goal if you do! Anyone
>> else that wants this support, feel free to respond with however much you
>> would donate for this support.
>> 
>> Man this is super cool news! I've really wanted to play around with LVM
>> for quite some time now!
>> 
>> --
>> Joshua Branson
>> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
>> https://gnucode.me
>> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
>> https://propernaming.org
>> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
>> 
>> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar
> 
> --
> 
> Martin
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 05:36:25 -0500
> From: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
> To: sullentrapdoor <sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc>
> Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Full Disk Encryption
> Message-ID: <87h7oatbo6.fsf@dismail.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain
> 
> For those curious, I just opened the relevant file
> '/gnu/tests/install.scm', navigated to the section about LVM support,
> and ran M-x magit-blame. Super cool command. :)
> 
> --
> Joshua Branson
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
> https://gnucode.me
> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
> https://propernaming.org
> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
> 
> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:53:22 +0100 (CET)
> From: julia.galaman@tutanota.com
> To: Guix Mailing List <help-guix@gnu.org>
> Subject: Guix System on Libreboot Laptops
> Message-ID: <MPPafoX--3-2@tutanota.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Does anybody here have experience with Guix System on librebooted ThinkPads?
> 
> I have a T400 with Libreboot and I want to install the system on it, but the installer does not
> load up properly, leading to a kernel panic. (Or sometimes there's just the error message and then
> it freezes.) Here's the message:
> 
> "error: USB Mass Storage stalled.
> error: you need to load the kernel first.
> 
> Failed to boot both default and fallback entries.
> 
> Press any key to continue..."
> 
> I recently got an X200T that's not librebooted (it's going to be sooner or later) and the installer
> works on it just fine, so it's unlikely to be about the pendrive or the image. I also tried
> Trisquel on the T400 and it worked, so it cannot be about nonfree firmware. I honestly have no idea
> what it is. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.
> 
> Oh, and I'm using the installer from the "stable" section, if that makes any difference.
> 
> Anyway,
> Looking forward to any help I can get,
> Thanks in advance!
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Help-Guix mailing list
> Help-Guix@gnu.org
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-guix
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Help-Guix Digest, Vol 61, Issue 43
> *****************************************


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-12-25 22:17 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-12-25 15:53 Guix System on Libreboot Laptops julia.galaman--- via
2020-12-25 21:59 ` Joshua Branson via
     [not found] <mailman.10686.1608911609.19112.help-guix@gnu.org>
2020-12-25 22:16 ` jgart

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git