unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
To: Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org>
Cc: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>,  help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: What processor features does Guix support on i686?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 12:56:45 -0400	[thread overview]

This email list was posted on guix-devel, I'm asking this question on
help-guix, because it's a help guix question and not a guix devel
question...

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Leo,
>
> Thanks for asking about this, and for ably taking care of our
> Linux-libre packages.  I'm grateful for your work on this.
>
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> I noticed that Linux 5.12 has a new config option regarding "Processor
>> family". The default choice, Pentium-Pro (M686), is highlighted in this
>> quote:
>>
>> ------
>> Processor family
>>   1. 486SX (M486SX) (NEW)
>>   2. 486DX (M486) (NEW)
>>   3. 586/K5/5x86/6x86/6x86MX (M586) (NEW)
>>   4. Pentium-Classic (M586TSC) (NEW)
>>   5. Pentium-MMX (M586MMX) (NEW)
>>> 6. Pentium-Pro (M686) (NEW)
>>   7. Pentium-II/Celeron(pre-Coppermine) (MPENTIUMII) (NEW)
>>   8. Pentium-III/Celeron(Coppermine)/Pentium-III Xeon (MPENTIUMIII) (NEW)
>>   9. Pentium M (MPENTIUMM) (NEW)
>>   10. Pentium-4/Celeron(P4-based)/Pentium-4 M/older Xeon (MPENTIUM4) (NEW)
>>   11. K6/K6-II/K6-III (MK6) (NEW)
>>   12. Athlon/Duron/K7 (MK7) (NEW)
>>   13. Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8 (MK8)
>>   14. Crusoe (MCRUSOE) (NEW)
>>   15. Efficeon (MEFFICEON) (NEW)
>>   16. Winchip-C6 (MWINCHIPC6) (NEW)
>>   17. Winchip-2/Winchip-2A/Winchip-3 (MWINCHIP3D) (NEW)
>>   18. AMD Elan (MELAN) (NEW)
>>   19. GeodeGX1 (MGEODEGX1) (NEW)
>>   20. Geode GX/LX (MGEODE_LX) (NEW)
>>   21. CyrixIII/VIA-C3 (MCYRIXIII) (NEW)
>>   22. VIA C3-2 (Nehemiah) (MVIAC3_2) (NEW)
>>   23. VIA C7 (MVIAC7) (NEW)
>>   24. Core 2/newer Xeon (MCORE2)
>>   25. Intel Atom (MATOM)
>> ------

I'm kind of curious, if I were to compile my own linux kernel, and I
could someone select a newer processor family, would that make my kernel
a little more faster?  Or would it just make my kernel image a little
smaller?  Also my laptop is a Lenovo T400.    So it doesn't exactly have
NEW features.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus