unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-08 23:27 reduxmotion
From: reduxmotion @ 2021-04-08 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

Is it possible to modify installation boot menu, to allow non-Free firmware loading?

I keep getting stuck with about 30 lines of messages, missing Free firmware

I'm using AMD 4800U Asrock 4x4 Box

Could I load from another channel at graphical install?

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-11 16:20 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reduxmotion; +Cc: help-guix

reduxmotion <Mark@reduxmotion.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to modify installation boot menu, to allow non-Free firmware loading?

Hello!  These kind of questions we politely request do not take place on
help-guix.  :) We encourage users to use free software only.  We would
rather not explain users how to use free software.  Rather we want to
explain to users how to use free software. Feel free to ask any other
question though!

A good solution to your problem might be to use hardware that supports
free software.  I currently use a ThinkPad T400.  It's a bit old, but
works really well.  Also any old-ish computer that has an Intel
processor should work well with GNU/Guix.

This site is a good resource for discovering good hardware that works
with free software:  https://h-node.org/

Also think penguin, za reason, and purism, system76, raptor computing,
PineBook Pro ($200) all offer modern computers that you can purchase.

Thanks!

143!

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-11 16:27   ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-04-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, reduxmotion; +Cc: help-guix

On 2021-04-11, Joshua Branson wrote:
> reduxmotion <Mark@reduxmotion.com> writes:
>> Is it possible to modify installation boot menu, to allow non-Free firmware loading?
> A good solution to your problem might be to use hardware that supports
> free software.
> Also think penguin, za reason, and purism, system76, raptor computing,
> PineBook Pro ($200) all offer modern computers that you can purchase.

I wouldn't exactly recommend the PineBook Pro at this point; needs a lot
of work in the kernel to get properly supported, and has some firmware
issues for what people expect of a laptop.

I suspect the raptor computing boards also are in the category of "needs
work", even if theoretically they may someday be a very nice option.

So it depends if you want a computer that "just works" vs. a project to
spend a good deal of time to help make it better. :)

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-11 16:29   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-11 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reduxmotion, help-guix

Hello,

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 6:20 PM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
> Also any old-ish computer that has an Intel
> processor should work well with GNU/Guix.

Also beware of GPUs that need firmware / blobs.

> PineBook Pro

I've yet to see that is properly supported (as in:
GUI desktop) by guix. Some distros are OK though.

[looks like Vagrant beat me to tell this]

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-12 15:07     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-12 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: reduxmotion, help-guix

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021-04-11, Joshua Branson wrote:
>> reduxmotion <Mark@reduxmotion.com> writes:
>>> Is it possible to modify installation boot menu, to allow non-Free firmware loading?
>> A good solution to your problem might be to use hardware that supports
>> free software.
>> Also think penguin, za reason, and purism, system76, raptor computing,
>> PineBook Pro ($200) all offer modern computers that you can purchase.
>
> I wouldn't exactly recommend the PineBook Pro at this point; needs a lot
> of work in the kernel to get properly supported, and has some firmware
> issues for what people expect of a laptop.
>
> I suspect the raptor computing boards also are in the category of "needs
> work", even if theoretically they may someday be a very nice option.
>
> So it depends if you want a computer that "just works" vs. a project to
> spend a good deal of time to help make it better. :)

Thanks for the tips vagrant!  I would probably recommend that someone
who wants to use Guix system, should probably just go with a ThinkPad
T400 or T200.  You can probably buy one of those on ebay for $200-$400.
Those are one of the few laptops that can be freed all the way down to
the BIOS.

I personally do not use libreboot (I use the nonfree fork), because
under intense load, my T400 crashes.  Using the nonfree fork of
libreboot, my T400 does not crash under heavy load.  And I use the sway
window manager, with Firefox (is it ok to mention Firefox in this email
channel?) via flatpak.

--

@ 2021-04-12 16:05       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-04-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, reduxmotion, help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> I personally do not use libreboot (I use the nonfree fork), because
> under intense load, my T400 crashes.  Using the nonfree fork of
> libreboot, my T400 does not crash under heavy load.

I’m a little confused about “nonfree fork”.  Coreboot is free software,
though it may include binary blobs when flashing the firmware.  It’s
also not a fork of libreboot.  osboot is a variant of libreboot, but it
also is free software.

--
Ricardo

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-12 16:46         ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, reduxmotion, help-guix

> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>
>> I personally do not use libreboot (I use the nonfree fork), because
>> under intense load, my T400 crashes.  Using the nonfree fork of
>> libreboot, my T400 does not crash under heavy load.
>
> I’m a little confused about “nonfree fork”.  Coreboot is free software,
> though it may include binary blobs when flashing the firmware.  It’s
> also not a fork of libreboot.  osboot is a variant of libreboot, but it

Ahhh... I thought it was improper to mention osboot.  That's what I
use.  osboot also bundles non-free cpu updates, which makes my laptop
not crash under heavy load.

--

@ 2021-04-12 17:52       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-12 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, reduxmotion, help-guix

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 11:07:31AM -0400, Joshua Branson wrote:
> I personally do not use libreboot (I use the nonfree fork), because
> under intense load, my T400 crashes.  Using the nonfree fork of
> libreboot, my T400 does not crash under heavy load.  And I use the sway
> window manager, with Firefox (is it ok to mention Firefox in this email
> channel?) via flatpak.

Yes, Firefox is free software. The reason we don't include it is that
Guix goes beyond only including free software; our packages are not
supposed to recommend non-free software either. The Firefox addons
interface doesn't adhere to that.

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-12 18:23         ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2021-04-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Vagrant Cascadian, reduxmotion, help-guix

Hi!

Le lundi 12 avril 2021 à 13:52 -0400, Leo Famulari a écrit :
> Yes, Firefox is free software. The reason we don't include it is that
> Guix goes beyond only including free software; our packages are not
> supposed to recommend non-free software either. The Firefox addons
> interface doesn't adhere to that.

Sorry to jump on the discussion like that, but what do you think of
GNOME boxes putting forward RHEL and Fedora for creating a new virtual
machine? Do you think it should be patched to replace them with
distributions with a clearer emphasis on free software?

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-13 17:08           ` Jonathan McHugh
From: Jonathan McHugh @ 2021-04-13 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I thought it was my WM that was making my laptop buckle under heavy
load.

This feels like an agony aunt type problem - like managing mould or a
broken heart.

Thanks for giving me an angle for troubleshooting my machine

--
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

* Re: (No Subject)
@ 2021-04-15 19:57   ` Vladimir Sedach
From: Vladimir Sedach @ 2021-04-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: reduxmotion, help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
> Also think penguin, za reason

I had to look that up as I had never heard of ZaReason before.
Apparently they closed in November 2020: https://zareason.com/

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la