unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org>
To: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
Cc: c4droid <c4droid@foxmail.com>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Pack busybox using guix, but make check have fail tests
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:11:01 -0400	[thread overview]

Joshua Branson writes:
> I believe that busybox has a more permissive license than coreutils?

Looking at the coreutils repository I can see that it is using GPL
version 3
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/COPYING>.  When I
run `guix search coreutils` the output says the license is "GPL 3+".
Looking at an individual source code file I can see that it says "either
version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version." <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/cat.c>.

BusyBox is licensed under the GPL version
2. <https://www.busybox.net/license.html>. "To summarize: every version
of BusyBox may be distributed under the terms of GPL version 2. New
versions (after 1.2.2), as a whole, may only be distributed under GPLv2,
not under other versions of the GPL."

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Version_3>
gives me the impression that GPL version 2 is more permissive than GPL
version 3.