unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* nheko and quaternion: completely black chat area
@ 2021-07-08 17:53 Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2021-07-08 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix users,

I'm running Guix on Debian 10 and I'm experiencing a strange problem
both with nheko and quaternion, both matrix chat protocol clients and
both qt5 GUI based.

I've installed both of them via manifest from a very recent commit I've
pulled today:

Generation 122  lug 08 2021 13:31:51    (current)
  guix 94f772d
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 94f772dad8cb1064d0e8cf11285ad9963ba00224

The apps are running fine, including authentication and send messages
/but/ the chat area [1] is completely black and I cannot read anything
in it.

The strange thing is that on my laptop, configured (almost) the same and
also with Guix on top of Debian 10 both applications are running fine, I
mean the message chat box is readeable.

I've also tried to compare the nheko /proc/<pid>/environ on the two
hosts but AFAIU there are no meaningful differences.

I've also installed the nheko deb package via apt and with that I do not
have the "black chat area" problem, so it seems related to Guix and to
the environment... but I'm not qt5 expert so I'm just trying to
guess... with no success.

Any hint please?

Thanks! Gio'

[1] the one with the messages list you can see in this upstream
screenshot: https://nheko-reborn.github.io/images/screenshots/chat-resized.png

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* LTSP related Re: nheko and quaternion: completely black chat area
@ 2021-07-09  7:54 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2021-07-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

[...]

> The apps are running fine, including authentication and send messages
> /but/ the chat area [1] is completely black and I cannot read anything
> in it.
>
> The strange thing is that on my laptop, configured (almost) the same and
> also with Guix on top of Debian 10 both applications are running fine, I
> mean the message chat box is readeable.

One more info to add: my desktop is a LTSP server (in a LXC container)
and I connect to it with a thin client, it's working well since many
years.

There's another strange thing: if I connect from my laptop to my desktop
with ssh (and X11 forwarding) I can run both nheko and quaternion
without problems, I mean: the chat area is NOT black.

So it seems to be related to my LTSP session AND to Something™ my
(Guix?) environment... but can't figure out what.

...still investigating...

[...]

Happy hacking! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* SOLVED: Re: nheko and quaternion: completely black chat area
@ 2021-07-11 12:21   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2021-07-11 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix