The package for ningle has a custom phase changing the name of the compiled files, this is why when you try to load it ASDF thinks that the system has not been compiled yet, tries to compile it and fails because it can't write the compiled files to the read-only "/gnu/store/...". I don't know if this custom phase is necessary or if it's just a leftover from the way asdf-build-system worked in the past... Could you try the attached patch removing the custom phase and see if everything works fine? If yes I'll push it to master.