unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Problem with gcc-toolchain modulefile
@ 2024-05-16 13:15 Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2024-05-16 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers

I crated a modulefile with the module command for the gcc-toolchain on a
foreign system. Unfortunately the LD_LIBRARY_PATH of the gcc-toolchain
package is interfering with the system (due to the wrong libstdc++.so I
guess).
Has anyone come across this problem or knows any workaround for it?

Best,
Reza

* Re: Problem with gcc-toolchain modulefile
@ 2024-07-11  9:09 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-07-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini, help-guix

Hi,

Very late reply… Sorry.  If the question is still unanswered. :-)

On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 15:15, Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> I crated a modulefile with the module command for the gcc-toolchain on a
> foreign system. Unfortunately the LD_LIBRARY_PATH of the gcc-toolchain
> package is interfering with the system (due to the wrong libstdc++.so I
> guess).

Depending on how you created the modulefile, you need to unset
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Do you use the package “guix-modules” which creates
Modulefiles using Guix?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Problem with gcc-toolchain modulefile
@ 2024-07-11 11:25   ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2024-07-11 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, help-guix

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Simon

> Very late reply… Sorry.  If the question is still unanswered. :-)

I figured a way to do it. I create a new package from the gcc package:

(define-public gcc-standalone
  (package
    (inherit gcc)
    (name "gcc-standalone")))

this allows me to install it as a modulefile.

> Depending on how you created the modulefile, you need to unset
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Do you use the package “guix-modules” which creates
> Modulefiles using Guix?

Yes I am using the guix-modules command, but I have no idea to unset
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the generated modulefile.

I have no idea if this is the correct way or if I should always use
gcc-toolchain?

Thanks for coming back to this.

@ 2024-07-16 14:42     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-07-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 at 13:25, Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I am using the guix-modules command, but I have no idea to unset
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the generated modulefile.

It’s ’unsetenv’, no?  Well, I am not very familiar with Modulefiles
documentation [1].

1: https://modules.readthedocs.io/en/v5.4.0/modulefile.html

> I have no idea if this is the correct way or if I should always use
> gcc-toolchain?

Well, the idea of ’gcc-toolchain’ is to provide a complete toolchain
[2], when ’gcc’ provides just one part (compiler).

2: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#The-GCC-toolchain

Cheers,
simon