unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 14:38 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-02-19 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix Users!

I have an issue with installing fonts through Guix or simply some
packages in general. The issue is, that the packages do not show up on
command line, when I do a search via either of the following 2 commands:

 1. guix search (my_package_name_here)
 2. guix package -s (my_package_name_here)

An example: On https://guix.gnu.org/packages/F/page/2/ I can see, that
there is "font-fira-mono" and "font-fira-sans" and similar. However,
when I search for "font" using the above commands, for example with
`guix package -s font` merely a single package shows up: `r-extrafont`.
Nothing more. This is weird, because I also installed some fonts already
via and none of those shows up. However, when I pipe the output into
`less` as suggested by the search result text, suddenly more packages
show up.

What I would like is, that I can decide myself, whether the output
should go through less and still see all results, even when not piping
into `less`.

And then there is the strange issue, that I cannot install font packages:

`guix package -i font-fira-code font-fire-mono font-fire-sans`

Gives:

`guix package: error: font-fire-mono: unknown package`

Although it is listed in the results when piping into `less`! What? How
does this make sense? Can someone explain this to me?

Is my Guix installation buggy? I never did anything weird to it, only
ever used the Guix CLI commands to interact with it.

Regards,
Zelphir

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 14:58 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-02-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Zelphir,

> `guix package -i font-fira-code font-fire-mono font-fire-sans`
>
> Gives:
>
> `guix package: error: font-fire-mono: unknown package`

is font-fire-mono a typo? Should it be font-fira-mono?

Hope that helps,

John

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:00 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-02-19 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

I do not know why you have to pipe it through less...That is odd.

But you can install recutils.  guix install recutils;

Then you could do something like this:

guix search "font*" | recsel -p name,synopsis;

That will show all the font packages.

Also I think you just had a misspelling.

guix package -i font-fira-mono;  I think you were spelling it "fire" and
not "fira".

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:02 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-02-19 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Zelphir Kaltstahl 写道:
> And then there is the strange issue, that I cannot install font
> packages:
>
> `guix package -i font-fira-code font-fire-mono font-fire-sans`
>
> Gives:
>
> `guix package: error: font-fire-mono: unknown package`

This is just a typo.  Correct it and try again ;-)

> Is my Guix installation buggy? I never did anything weird to it,
> only
> ever used the Guix CLI commands to interact with it.

No.  It was a deliberate decision to make ‘guix search’/‘guix
package -s’ show only the ‘top’ result when stdout is a TTY.  I
don't like it either.  The argument was that packages are sorted
with the most relevant one at the top, which would scroll out of
view.

I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
automatically when stdout is a TTY.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:06   ` John Soo
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Soo @ 2020-02-19 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Hi T G-R,

> I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
> automatically when stdout is a TTY.

I like the idea of using $PAGER.  Makes sense to me.

- John

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:38   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-02-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
> automatically when stdout is a TTY.

We should call $PAGER when it’s set.

Isn’t there a bug report about this…?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:41   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-02-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 16:02, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> No.  It was a deliberate decision to make ‘guix search’/‘guix
> package -s’ show only the ‘top’ result when stdout is a TTY.  I
> don't like it either.  The argument was that packages are sorted
> with the most relevant one at the top, which would scroll out of
> view.

Even the 'relevance' scoring function should be discussed. ;-)

> I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
> automatically when stdout is a TTY.

I think there is a patch which changes the behaviour to "do nothing"
when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
But from my point of view, the philosophy is to combine "guix search"
with "recsel" to filter the results and then to use "guix show" to
read the information of the package.

(Note that "guix show" shows only one package and it should be able to
accept a list. TODO list ;-))

All the best,
simon

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-19 15:45   ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-02-19 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

Indeed, it is a typo and the font shows up in search after correcting
the typo. I must have been blind there! Thanks! Mystery solved.

On 19.02.20 15:58, John Soo wrote:
> Hi Zelphir,
>
>> `guix package -i font-fira-code font-fire-mono font-fire-sans`
>>
>> Gives:
>>
>> `guix package: error: font-fire-mono: unknown package`
> is font-fire-mono a typo? Should it be font-fira-mono?
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> John

* Re: Guix does not find packages
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-20 14:49   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-02-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Zelphir Kaltstahl 写道:
>> And then there is the strange issue, that I cannot install font
>> packages:
>>
>> `guix package -i font-fira-code font-fire-mono font-fire-sans`
>>
>> Gives:
>>
>> `guix package: error: font-fire-mono: unknown package`
>
> This is just a typo.  Correct it and try again ;-)
>
>> Is my Guix installation buggy? I never did anything weird to it,
>> only
>> ever used the Guix CLI commands to interact with it.
>
> No.  It was a deliberate decision to make ‘guix search’/‘guix package
> -s’ show only the ‘top’ result when stdout is a TTY.  I don't like it
> either.  The argument was that packages are sorted with the most
> relevant one at the top, which would scroll out of view.

Oh. Thanks for explaining that.

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-02-20 15:00     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-02-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

> I think there is a patch which changes the behaviour to "do nothing"
> when INSIDE_EMACS is set.

Yes, I've sent this patch for review, I'll merge soon.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix does not find packages
@ 2020-04-23 20:07     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-04-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:
>
>> I *still* think we should either do nothing, or call $PAGER
>> automatically when stdout is a TTY.
>
> We should call $PAGER when it’s set.
>
> Isn’t there a bug report about this…?

I’m noticing this thread just now (oops!) and I think a bug report is in
order.  I didn’t know there was consensus on invoking $PAGER, but since
there is, let’s do that!

Ludo’, who would like to not prevent progress.  :-)