unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* OS Guix. Libreoffice does not have dictionaries for spell check
@ 2020-03-28 19:00 znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-03-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello, Guix! It might be this question was somewhere, but I did not found on guix-help archive and duckduckgo.
Please, what to do for LibreOffice Writer make a spell check?
It has no any spell check module now and dictionaries are empty. I've just installed it with `guix install libreoffice`
`guix search libreoffice` does not show any language pack.
My system config attached.

[-- Attachment #2: guix-config.scm --]

;-*- mode: Scheme; -*-
;;this is znavko's cute config
;; for lightweight xfce4 desktop

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)
	     (gnu system locale) ;;for locale-definition
	     (gnu services desktop)
	     (srfi srfi-1)	       ;;for remove function
	     (gnu services networking) ;;for remove ntp
	     (gnu services avahi)      ;;for remove avahi
	     (gnu services xorg)
	     (gnu packages admin) ;;for wpa_supplicant
	     )

(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system (host-name "antelope") (timezone "Europe/Moscow") (locale "en_US.utf8")
		  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader) (target "/boot/efi")))
		  (file-systems (cons*
					(file-system (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/boot/efi") (type "vfat"))
					(file-system (device "/dev/sda2") (mount-point "/") (type "ext4"))
				%base-file-systems))

		  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda3"))

		  (users (cons* (user-account (name "bob") (group "users")
					      (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
					      (home-directory "/home/bob"))
				(user-account (name "mom") (group "users")
					      (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
					      (home-directory "/home/mom"))
				%base-user-accounts))

		  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
		  (packages (cons* nss-certs ;for HTTPS access
				   gvfs	     ;for user mounts
				   wpa-supplicant
				   %base-packages))

		  (services (cons*
			     ;; xfce4 desktop, dhcp-client, slim
			     (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
			     ;(service dhcp-client-service-type)
			     (service slim-service-type)

			     (modify-services
			      ;; removing unnecessary services
			      (remove (lambda (service)
					(member (service-kind service)
						(list ntp-service-type avahi-service-type
						      bluetooth-service network-manager-service-type
						      gdm-service-type)))
				      %desktop-services) ;end of remove lambda services

			      ;; wpa_supplicant + dhcp-client (above) instead of networkmanager
			      ;(wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
			;				   (wpa-supplicant-configuration
			;				    (interface "wlp0s77")
			;				    (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

			      )	;;end of modify-services
			     ))	;;end of services

		  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
		  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

		  ;;blacklist ugly sound speaker, blacklist ideapad_laptop for prevent soft blocking wlan
		  (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr,snd_pcsp,bluetooth"))

		  ) ;;end of operating-system

* Re: OS Guix. Libreoffice does not have dictionaries for spell check
@ 2020-03-29  9:14 ` Pierre Neidhardt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-29  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

You need to install the appropriate hunspell-dict-* packages I believe.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: OS Guix. Libreoffice does not have dictionaries for spell check
@ 2020-03-29 10:24 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-03-29 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

Sorry for my ignorance, but huspell has only french and does not work even with english.
I have installed hunspell but this makes no changes. Also `guix search hunspell` does not give russian dictionary.
I had worked spell check on my previous Guix installation but cannot remember what I did.

http://0x0.st/iMo2.png

@ 2020-03-29 10:44 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-03-29 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

yes. english dictionary is presented in guix - package 'hunspell-dict-en'
so after installing it and clicking in Libreoffice Writer Tools -> Language -> For all text -> English
I've got spell check.
But how to install russian dictionary now?

PS: also guix search output is dreadfully not full.

$ guix search  hunspell-dict
name: hunspell-dict-fr
version: 6.2
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
dependencies: unzip@6.0
location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
license: MPL 2.0
synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for ``classic'' French (recommended)
relevance: 4

name: hunspell-dict-fr-toutesvariantes
version: 6.2
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
dependencies: unzip@6.0
location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
license: MPL 2.0
synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for all variants of French
relevance: 4

name: hunspell-dict-fr-reforme1990
version: 6.2
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
dependencies: unzip@6.0
location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
license: MPL 2.0
synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for the post "1990 réforme" French
relevance: 4

hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results.

@ 2020-03-29 10:55   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-29 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

<znavko@disroot.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 29., V, 12:44):

> yes. english dictionary is presented in guix - package 'hunspell-dict-en'
> so after installing it and clicking in Libreoffice Writer Tools -> Language -> For all text -> English
> I've got spell check.
> But how to install russian dictionary now?
>
> PS: also guix search output is dreadfully not full.
>
> $ guix search  hunspell-dict
> name: hunspell-dict-fr
> version: 6.2
> outputs: out
> systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
> dependencies: unzip@6.0
> location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
> homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
> license: MPL 2.0
> synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for ``classic'' French (recommended)
> relevance: 4
>
> name: hunspell-dict-fr-toutesvariantes
> version: 6.2
> outputs: out
> systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
> dependencies: unzip@6.0
> location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
> homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
> license: MPL 2.0
> synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for all variants of French
> relevance: 4
>
> name: hunspell-dict-fr-reforme1990
> version: 6.2
> outputs: out
> systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux
> dependencies: unzip@6.0
> location: gnu/packages/libreoffice.scm:843:2
> homepage: https://www.dicollecte.org/home.php?prj=fr
> license: MPL 2.0
> synopsis: Hunspell dictionary for the post "1990 réforme" French
> relevance: 4
>
> hint: Run `guix search ... | less' to view all the results.

You can use this hint to list all results.

> March 29, 2020 10:24 AM, znavko@disroot.org wrote:
>
> > Sorry for my ignorance, but huspell has only french and does not work even with english.
> > I have installed hunspell but this makes no changes. Also `guix search hunspell` does not give
> > russian dictionary.
> > I had worked spell check on my previous Guix installation but cannot remember what I did.
> >
> > http://0x0.st/iMo2.png
> >
> > March 29, 2020 9:14 AM, "Pierre Neidhardt" <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> >
> >> You need to install the appropriate hunspell-dict-* packages I believe.
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Pierre Neidhardt
> >> https://ambrevar.xyz

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

* Re: OS Guix. Libreoffice does not have dictionaries for spell check
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-29 10:56 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-03-29 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

The link from Libreoffice Writer in menu Tools -> Language -> More dictionaries online
and search there: https://extensions.libreoffice.org/extensions?getCategories=Dictionary&getCompatibility=any&sort_on=positive_ratings&path=%2FPlone%2Fextensions&portal_type=tdf.extensionsuploadcenter.eupproject&SearchableText=russian
helped!

http://0x0.st/iMo3.png

Thanks.

PS: This topic is for that reason that Guix has its own work with packages and Applications, often have to do work harder then application developers consider for application users.

@ 2020-04-28  7:33   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-04-28  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

znavko@disroot.org writes:

> yes. english dictionary is presented in guix - package 'hunspell-dict-en'
> so after installing it and clicking in Libreoffice Writer Tools -> Language -> For all text -> English
> I've got spell check.
> But how to install russian dictionary now?

It seems we have 2 issues here:

- We miss many dictionaries.
- It seems that non-english dictionaries are not seen by Libreoffice.
  I've tried installing hunspell-dict-fr but it wasn't listed in
  Libreoffice options.

Anyone?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: OS Guix. Libreoffice does not have dictionaries for spell check
@ 2020-04-28 10:52   ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-04-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

Hello, Pierre Neirdhardt!
Yes, this is not so convenient as could be.
But there is a way to solve, here I've posted:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-03/msg00171.html
It is possible to use dictionaries from LibreOffice site and
it is possible to add themwith menu:
Tools -> Language -> More dictionaries online

I think LibreOffice has difficult architecture, and Guix too.
And developers of LibreOffice should take a view of how they can help here.

@ 2020-04-28 12:35     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-04-28 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix