unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: dario <dario.klingenberg@web.de>
To: Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Setting environment variables for nix service
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 17:47:01 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

thanks for your input!

> Could you try ‘~/.bashrc’, please?

In that case, emacs still doesn't recognize the new environment
variables, but of course, any terminals I start withing exwm do.
Still,
this doesn't really solve the problem. Anyway, I am currently
working
around the issue by setting the variables manually in my init.el
using
setenv, but I would still be interested in learning the proper way
set environment variables in a gdm+exwm-setting.

By the way, ~/.bash_profile does get read, and I can e.g.
autostart
programs by putting the respective commands in ~/.bash_profile.
However,
environment variables set in ~/.bash_profile are not recognized by
emacs.

Regarding my second question, it seems that the nix service is
already
setting some of the nix-specific environment variables, but
doesn't
change general ones such as $PATH. So maybe the feature I
suggested is
already implemented, but they took care not change $PATH by
default
because of the reason you mentioned.

Cheers,

Dario