unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
@ 2021-04-10  4:28 Bone Baboon
  2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
  2021-04-10 23:06 ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-10  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have just installed Guix on a computer using:
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz

When I run `guix pull` I get this error message "guix pull: error: Git
error: the SSL certificate is invalid".


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-10  4:28 guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0 Bone Baboon
@ 2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
  2021-04-10 20:12   ` Bone Baboon
  2021-04-10 23:07   ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-10 23:06 ` Leo Famulari
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-10  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Also trying to be helpful here, but, be careful anyways... ;-)

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 6:28 AM Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> wrote:
> I have just installed Guix on a computer using:
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz

I did this 2 days ago on an old laptop, which had an old guix
install (~1 year old).

> When I run `guix pull` I get this error message "guix pull: error: Git
> error: the SSL certificate is invalid".

And I can guix pull & guix system reconfigure.

I reinstalled because I saw that same error message, from
the old guix install...

So I don't know if this is helpful.

But I remember having seen an (default checked) option
to install certificates when choosing packages to install.

Let me power it up and check...

I have the "nss-certs" package installed from /etc/config.scm

This may be what you're missing.

-- 
Vincent Legoll


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
@ 2021-04-10 20:12   ` Bone Baboon
  2021-04-10 23:07   ` Leo Famulari
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-10 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

Vincent Legoll writes:
> I remember having seen an (default checked) option
> to install certificates when choosing packages to install.

> I have the "nss-certs" package installed from /etc/config.scm
>
> This may be what you're missing.

I reinstalled Guix on the laptop.  During the graphical install I used
the default checked option for the certificates.  The only difference
with the install on this computer was that at the end when it prompts
for the install media to be removed and the reboot button used it went
to a blue screen and did not power off.  So I held the power button to
turn the computer off.

I was able to boot and sign in normally.  With a working Ethernet
connection `guix pull` gave the same error.  However `sudo guix system
reconfigure config.scm` worked fine and was able to download using the
internet connection.

`nss-certs` is in the system configuration file.

`locate certificates` shows that `etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt` is
in the store.

`ls /run/current-system/profile/etc/ssl/certs/ | wc --lines` outputs
301.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-10  4:28 guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0 Bone Baboon
  2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
@ 2021-04-10 23:06 ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-11  1:54   ` Bone Baboon
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-10 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:28:20AM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
> I have just installed Guix on a computer using:
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz
> 
> When I run `guix pull` I get this error message "guix pull: error: Git
> error: the SSL certificate is invalid".

In what context did you run `guix pull`? Like, in a graphical terminal
emulator? A console? As root? If as root, how did you become root?

Is the bug reproducible? If so, please share the results of `env`,
`which guix`, and `guix describe`, in the same environment where you see
the bug.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
  2021-04-10 20:12   ` Bone Baboon
@ 2021-04-10 23:07   ` Leo Famulari
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-10 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:33:12AM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> But I remember having seen an (default checked) option
> to install certificates when choosing packages to install.
> 
> Let me power it up and check...
> 
> I have the "nss-certs" package installed from /etc/config.scm

`guix pull` uses its own certificate store, and it happens
automatically.

nss-certs is not used.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-10 23:06 ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-04-11  1:54   ` Bone Baboon
  2021-04-11 19:04     ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-11  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari writes:
> In what context did you run `guix pull`? Like, in a graphical terminal
> emulator? A console? As root? If as root, how did you become root?
>
> Is the bug reproducible? If so, please share the results of `env`,
> `which guix`, and `guix describe`, in the same environment where you see
> the bug.

I can reproduce this after two separate install using this install
image: 
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz

The output of `guix pull`:
```
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
guix pull: error: Git error: the SSL certificate is invalid
```

I am running `guix pull` from a Linux console virtual terminal.
I am running `guix pull` as a regular user (not root).

`which guix` outputs "/run/current-system/profile/bin/guix".

The output of `guix describe`:
```
guix describe: error: failed to determine origin
hint: Perhaps this `guix' command was not obtained with `guix pull'? Its version string is 1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af.
```

The output of `env`:
```
SHELL=/gnu/store/ndjymgwsm5lyxphdgqwr5wf7j7xf29d4-bash-5.0.16/bin/bash
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/home/user/.guix-profile/etc/xdg:/run/current-system/profile/etc/xdg
BASH_LOADABLES_PATH=/run/current-system/profile/lib/bash
LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY=/run/booted-system/kernel/lib/modules
XCURSOR_PATH=/home/user/.icons:/home/user/.guix-profile/share/icons:/run/current-system/profile/share/icons
GTK_DATA_PREFIX=/run/current-system/profile
LOGNAME=user
MANPATH=/run/current-system/profile/share/man:/home/user/.guix-profile/share/man:/run/current-system/profile/share/man
GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/3.0
HOME=/home/user
GIT_SSL_CAINFO=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
LANG=en_US.utf8
SSL_CERT_DIR=/etc/ssl/certs
GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=/run/current-system/profile/lib/guile/3.0/site-ccache:/run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/3.0
INFOPATH=/home/user/.config/guix/current/share/info:/run/current-system/profile/share/info:/home/user/.guix-profile/share/info:/run/current-system/profile/share/info
DICPATH=/home/user/.guix-profile/share/hunspell:/run/current-system/profile/share/hunspell
DBUS_FATAL_WARNINGS=0
TERM=linux
USER=user
TZDIR=/gnu/store/1cab1lwnz2af20xdhzsvzfcbzarp0m40-tzdata-2020a/share/zoneinfo
SHLVL=1
GUIX_LOCPATH=/run/current-system/locale
GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/home/user/.guix-profile/lib/gstreamer-1.0
SSL_CERT_FILE=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/home/user/.guix-profile/share:/run/current-system/profile/share
HUSHLOGIN=FALSE
PATH=/run/setuid-programs:/home/user/.config/guix/current/bin:/home/user/.guix-profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/bin:/run/current-system/profile/sbin
_=/run/current-system/profile/bin/env
```


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-11  1:54   ` Bone Baboon
@ 2021-04-11 19:04     ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-11 20:24       ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-14  0:14       ` Bone Baboon
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-11 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 09:54:18PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
> I can reproduce this after two separate install using this install
> image: 
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz

Okay. I have installed this ISO in a virtual machine, following the
instructions in the manual section Installing Guix in a VM.

> The output of `guix pull`:
> ```
> Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
> guix pull: error: Git error: the SSL certificate is invalid
> ```

I logged in as a regular user, ran `guix pull`, and it completed
successfully. I also tried as root, and that worked too.

> I am running `guix pull` from a Linux console virtual terminal.
> I am running `guix pull` as a regular user (not root).

Okay.

> `which guix` outputs "/run/current-system/profile/bin/guix".

Okay.

> The output of `guix describe`:
> ```
> guix describe: error: failed to determine origin
> hint: Perhaps this `guix' command was not obtained with `guix pull'? Its version string is 1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af.
> ```

This isn't quite right.

It's expected that, before the first `guix pull`, the origin is not
known. The per-user view of Guix, with provenance tracking, is created
on the first `guix pull`.

However, the version string should be 1.2.0.  Something has gone wrong
on your system and caused you to "go back in time" to an earlier
release, the second release candidate of the 1.2.0 release.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-11 19:04     ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-04-11 20:24       ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-14  0:26         ` Bone Baboon
  2021-04-14  0:14       ` Bone Baboon
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-11 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 03:04:14PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> It's expected that, before the first `guix pull`, the origin is not
> known. The per-user view of Guix, with provenance tracking, is created
> on the first `guix pull`.
> 
> However, the version string should be 1.2.0.  Something has gone wrong
> on your system and caused you to "go back in time" to an earlier
> release, the second release candidate of the 1.2.0 release.

I don't think this is related to the TLS / SSL problem. That problem is
being tracked at <https://bugs.gnu.org/46829>.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-11 19:04     ` Leo Famulari
  2021-04-11 20:24       ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-04-14  0:14       ` Bone Baboon
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-14  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix


Leo Famulari writes:
>> The output of `guix describe`:
>> ```
>> guix describe: error: failed to determine origin
>> hint: Perhaps this `guix' command was not obtained with `guix pull'? Its version string is 1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af.
>> ```
>
> This isn't quite right.
>
> It's expected that, before the first `guix pull`, the origin is not
> known. The per-user view of Guix, with provenance tracking, is created
> on the first `guix pull`.
>
> However, the version string should be 1.2.0.  Something has gone wrong
> on your system and caused you to "go back in time" to an earlier
> release, the second release candidate of the 1.2.0 release.

The steps I did after the install:

1) ping a website
2) guix pull (fails)
3) reconfigure system
4) guix describe

I think it is step 3 which caused the rollback to the release
candidate.  I even received a warning that running a reconfigure before
running `guix pull` could downgrade the system.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-11 20:24       ` Leo Famulari
@ 2021-04-14  0:26         ` Bone Baboon
  2021-04-14 17:32           ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-14  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 03:04:14PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> It's expected that, before the first `guix pull`, the origin is not
>> known. The per-user view of Guix, with provenance tracking, is created
>> on the first `guix pull`.
>> 
>> However, the version string should be 1.2.0.  Something has gone wrong
>> on your system and caused you to "go back in time" to an earlier
>> release, the second release candidate of the 1.2.0 release.
>
> I don't think this is related to the TLS / SSL problem. That problem is
> being tracked at <https://bugs.gnu.org/46829>.

Thank you for sharing that link.  It inspired several tests that I
conducted which helped me solve the problem.  The issue was that the
date was significantly incorrect.

I was able to fix this with `sudo date --set='YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS'`.
The changed date did not persist after a reboot and I had the same
error.  To make the changed date persist after a reboot I used this
command `sudo hwclock --systohw`.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

* Re: guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0
  2021-04-14  0:26         ` Bone Baboon
@ 2021-04-14 17:32           ` Leo Famulari
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 08:26:32PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
> Thank you for sharing that link.  It inspired several tests that I
> conducted which helped me solve the problem.  The issue was that the
> date was significantly incorrect.
> 
> I was able to fix this with `sudo date --set='YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS'`.
> The changed date did not persist after a reboot and I had the same
> error.  To make the changed date persist after a reboot I used this
> command `sudo hwclock --systohw`.

You might look into using NTP to keep your clock set correctly, by
adding the ntp-service-type to your config.scm's services and
reconfiguring.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-04-14 17:41 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 11+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-04-10  4:28 guix pull error after install i686 1.2.0 Bone Baboon
2021-04-10  9:33 ` Vincent Legoll
2021-04-10 20:12   ` Bone Baboon
2021-04-10 23:07   ` Leo Famulari
2021-04-10 23:06 ` Leo Famulari
2021-04-11  1:54   ` Bone Baboon
2021-04-11 19:04     ` Leo Famulari
2021-04-11 20:24       ` Leo Famulari
2021-04-14  0:26         ` Bone Baboon
2021-04-14 17:32           ` Leo Famulari
2021-04-14  0:14       ` Bone Baboon

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git