unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* midi
@ 2023-03-22 16:57 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-22 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 455 bytes --]

Hi,

I can’t play midi files or lilypond files ending ly.
In Musescore PulseAudio is used and I can listen to the songs.
In Lilypond or Frescobaldi I can’t listen. No sound.

I checked in Guix packages and there are many midi packages.
Which one should I install, hoping it will work.
I have got timidity++ installed in the lilypond profile but it does not
work.

Has somebody got experience about midi?
--
Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: midi
@ 2023-03-23 10:09 ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2023-03-23 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-03-23 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Paśnikowski; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

Marek Paśnikowski <marekpasnikowski@protonmail.com> writes:

> [...]

Isn’t the service run by the people who develop Musescore? If so, how
should shady practices be sabotage?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: midi
@ 2023-03-23 16:48     ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Marek Paśnikowski; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1798 bytes --]

Hi,

I don’t understand much about music theory, so I was looking for a music
notation programme WYSIWYG.
I woudn’t be able to use lilypond e.g. some years ago.

Some shady practices hint to certain problems,
they need money and misuse people.
Of course, the developers are not included in that ... I guess.

I don’t want to investigate that, I have better things to do,
but if you have an ethical understanding of "loving/helping people",
such things shouldn’t happen.

But now, after learning musescore I can imagine to switch slowly to
lilypond,
but of course it takes time to learn.
Lilypond is GNU-Projekt AFAIU
so it has a better background and I guess people are not mistreated.
It is always better, if possible, to use GNU packages
because we all now why.

But for now I have to solve my midi problem
in order to be able to use lilypond at all.

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-03-24  9:38       ` Marek Paśnikowski