unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Implement power management (suspend, hibernate, resume) in Shepherd?
       [not found] <20150328205904.GB8346@venom>
@ 2017-07-04  0:45 ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2017-07-04  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-guix

I'm bumping this old thread:

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00757.html

because I'd like to discuss if it still makes sense to implement power
management, i.e. suspend (to memory=RAM), hibernate (to (hard) disk) and
resume in GNU Shepherd. As far as I can see, Shepherd currently only
provides ‘halt’ and ‘reboot’.

As far as I understand, currently GuixSD uses elogind (“systemd
project's ‘logind’, extracted to a standalone package”) to suspend,
hibernate and resume when some events happen, like pressing the
suspend-key etc.

Is there any nice way to suspend GuixSD by command? (I didn't yet try
out ‘echo mem > /sys/power/state’.) Is it still desirable that Shepherd
itself could get this job done?

* Re: Implement power management (suspend, hibernate, resume) in Shepherd?
@ 2017-07-04 19:31   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-07-04 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: help-guix

Mekeor Melire <mekeor.melire@gmail.com> writes:

> As far as I understand, currently GuixSD uses elogind (“systemd
> project's ‘logind’, extracted to a standalone package”) to suspend,
> hibernate and resume when some events happen, like pressing the
> suspend-key etc.
>
> Is there any nice way to suspend GuixSD by command? (I didn't yet try
> out ‘echo mem > /sys/power/state’.)

"loginctl suspend" will do it, optionally with "-i" added to ignore
inhibitors.  See "loginctl --help" for more.

      Mark

* Re: Implement power management (suspend, hibernate, resume) in Shepherd?
@ 2017-07-08 22:09     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-08 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> Mekeor Melire <mekeor.melire@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> As far as I understand, currently GuixSD uses elogind (“systemd
>> project's ‘logind’, extracted to a standalone package”) to suspend,
>> hibernate and resume when some events happen, like pressing the
>> suspend-key etc.
>>
>> Is there any nice way to suspend GuixSD by command? (I didn't yet try
>> out ‘echo mem > /sys/power/state’.)
>
> "loginctl suspend" will do it, optionally with "-i" added to ignore
> inhibitors.  See "loginctl --help" for more.

Even simpler: closing my laptop’s lid puts it into suspend-to-memory
mode.

Ludo’.

* Re: Implement power management (suspend, hibernate, resume) in Shepherd?
@ 2017-07-09 12:15   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-07-09 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mekeor Melire; +Cc: help-guix

Mekeor Melire <mekeor.melire@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any nice way to suspend GuixSD by command? (I didn't yet try
> out ‘echo mem > /sys/power/state’.) Is it still desirable that Shepherd
> itself could get this job done?

My librebooted laptop sometimes … breaks in weird ways disabling all
hotkeys, including the switch that is used to suspend.  Whenever this
happens and I cannot reboot I use

    echo mem | sudo tee /sys/power/state

This works fine to suspend the laptop.  It does not lock it, though.

Usually, though it is enough to close the lid of this X200S.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net